Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyesronthesky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
    How Do I Bleach Grey Sand White
    How do I bleach grey sand white? Can it be done? I have grey playsand I want to bleach white.:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 01:31 PM

Sand is usually bleached white from the sun. Do you have any idea of the magnitude of bleaching the sand white. Think of the chemicals involved and it would no longer by PLAY SAND. It would be completely toxic.

Tick

May 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Sand is usually bleached white from the sun. Do you have any idea of the magnitude of bleaching the sand white. Think of the chemicals involved and it would no longer by PLAY SAND. It would be completely toxic.

tick
    Manufacturers/factories actually have a process they use to do this, where it winds up on the shelves of many stores like Lowe's, home depot, etc. and it ISN'T toxic. I want to know the chemistry involved in the process, so I can use it in a sculpture. There is a process, it can be learned, and it can be done.
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 03:59 PM

It is probably done in large quantities under a controlled environment. You didn't say why you wanted to do it. There is nothing on Google that says anything about a bleaching process for sand.

Can't help you with the chemistry.

Tick

May 9, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    It is probably done in large quantities under a controlled environment. You didnt say why you wanted to do it. There is nothing on google that says anything about a bleaching process for sand.

Can't help you with the chemistry.

tick
    The fact (not probability) that it is done in large quanities is moot, and has no reference to my question. Your reference to a controlled environment is non consequential, since the process and materials used is neither a secret nor illegal. I already new Google had no information, which explains why I came to Ask Me for help. Lastly, a disclosure of my intended use wwould have been immaterial, as in unconsequential, i.e. of no importance. Your likely assumption I intended to toxify children's playsand is incredulous. And finally, why do you bother "answering" questions when you do not possess the answer?
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 04:59 PM

You disclosed your intended use anyway, so what does it matter. You said you wanted to use the material in a sculpture. I didn't imply you wanted to toxify children's play sand.

As for answering questions, it is my prerogrative to do so. You can be magnanimous and just say thanks, but you can't help, same way anyone else would.

I don't care one way or another if you ever get an answer. How's that for apples, eyes.

ms. tickle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone every tried Fair & White AHA Lighting Cream or Rare Extracts body bleach [ 45 Answers ]

Hi.. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these lighting creams and if you did can you tell me if they worked for you. Also, if it did how long did it take. I just started using Fair & White AHA Lightening Cream a couple days ago but I was kindda iffy about it because it says it contains...

Black,grey,white particles coming out of hot water in 1 bathtub [ 7 Answers ]

When I turn on my HOT water in my bathtub... black,grey,white particles/debris come out. They feel sandy/rockish... tiny and some larger like tiny stones. After a bath, I can get about 1 tablespoon of this debris out of the tub. I have done checking... only happens with my hot water. And only...

Sand Filter is blowing out sand into my pool [ 3 Answers ]

Lately when I backwash my above ground pool, the filter blows out sand into the water. What causes this? When backwashing the filter, I turn off the pump, turn the dial to backwash and turn the pump on low. Is the pump supposed to be on during the backwash and rinse cycle?

Should I bleach my hair or Do a full heavy all over bleach highlights? [ 2 Answers ]

Info on myself. Blue eyes, fair skin, pink undertones, natural hair color is dark blond. Last month I had my hair dyed a dark blonde. BTW, this was done professionally. The top area came out with dark blonde, gold/ red tones, and does not match my skin tone. I would like to be more in the neutral...

View more questions Search