Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkeychita18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Child Custody
    My partner is currently pregnant and her ex-boyfriend wants to take away the baby. She doesn't want to ask for any child support but she know and is aware that he has to be apart of the babies life. We have both tried talking to him, to let him know that he is going to be a part of the baby, but he doesn't listen he starts yelling saying he is taking this to an attorney to take the baby away. He is threatening her saying he has her social security number and that at any time he will be going to say he wants to pay child support just to be a part of the babies life. What I want to do is get custody of this baby. She is afraid of losing the baby, she doesn't mind for him to be apart of the baby but doesn't want to ask him for any child support nor is she comfortable for him to take the baby alone. The baby is not yet born, but what would you suggest we do?
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Sep 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Welcome Monkeychita!

First of all... you have no rights to this child. The only way you would have rights is if the "biological father" would relinguish his rights and then you could adopt the child. Doesn't sound like this is going to happen though!

Also... unless you girlfriend is a druggy or a "sex horror" (sorry for the language) then I don't think she has a lot to worry about! A lot of courts believe that unless the mother is one of the things I mentioned above that she will care for this child! As far as child support... in Nebraska... a person can't just not pay child support! The minimum here is $50.00.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Sep 26, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Why is he an X/bf? Does he really want the child or just want to cause trouble? Why does she not want child support but will allow him to be a part of the child's life? Give a little more backdground information. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2006, 01:03 PM
    First the bio father unless he has seroius drug or abuse problems will get to be part of the child's life if he wants to. There is no way to stop him, period

Next there is nothing a new boyfriend or girlfriend can do, you have no rights at all to the baby, except to help raise it.

And paying or not paying child support does not make a diffrence to visitation or custody. Normally both are part of an agreement

And I will add a little preachy here but a person needs to consider who they are having unprotected sex with if they don't think that person is good father material or someone they want to help raise a baby.

This man will be part of that child's life, that fact had better just sink in.

As to full custody, most courts don't give the father full custody unless the mother has very poor morals, is a drug user, or in some way a danger to the baby. But he could get joint custody sharing the amount of time each has the baby, or have other forms of visitation ( every weekend, every other weekend or so on)

So what you do at this point is hire an attorney and start making plans to file in court for custody once the baby is born. Remember the bio father has just as much legal right as the mother does until the court makes a ruling.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 26, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Relax and see what happens after the child is born. You have no rights unless he signs his rights over so just support the g/f. Unless there is something you haven't told us no court will take the child from the mother so relax there too. She does need to get child support and visitation set in stone for the record though as its in the best interest of the child.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
    It'll be pretty hard for her to get the baby taken away from her. Why is she not asking for child support? The judge will probably order him to pay it whether she asks or not. Certainly he'll be granted visitation but custody is highly unlikely.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
    He is probably just mad and blowing off steam. There is really nothing he can do. He can take her to court to establish paternity. But, he is setting himself up for failure if he is not planning on paying child support. All you can really do is support her and the child. You have no say until he gives up his paternal rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 4 Answers ]

In August of this year my daughter went to stay with her grandmother to go to a private school. At the time I believed everything was fine. Since then my mother has not allowed me to see her or speak to her. It's been a long time since I've even been able to talk to my mother. A month after she was...

Child custody [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one give me some avice on child custody?I have sole custody now and the mom is taking me back to court and is asking for full custody.she has been court order to see child on wensdays and every other weekends. She has taken our son two time in last 60 days.how do I keep the sole...

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My step daughters mother is tell her daughter that when she turns 16 (shes 5 now) that she can move in with her ( we have full cousty)... I thought this was up to a judge and not the child... can some one tell me if this is true?. Katrina

Child custody [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband lives in Arkansas and has custody of my 12 year old daughter. She wants to come back to Virginia to live with me. She has made that clear to him and has even told him that when she comes to Virginia this summer that she is not coming back to Arkansas. She wants me to support her in...

View more questions Search