Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pigger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Am I wasting my time?
    Been dating for two years.Have talked about how we want to spend the rest of our lives together.But marriage is a light subject.I recently receive a promotion in the mail for a free trip, but to qualify we have to be married,living together or engaged.We are neither.My boyfriend suggested that I call back and lie by telling them we are engaged, and that we could burrow a ring.I don`t want to wast my time.But at the same time I don`t think we are ready.After two years do you think we should be ready?I do eventually.He says and shows that he is very serious about me.But that comment really alarmed me.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 7, 2009, 08:54 AM

Well if you feel uncomfortable about something, then talk it out with him. Communication is key in a relationship. Tell your boyfriend how you feel about the whole situation.

If you don't want to go on the trip, then don't go. Don't let the pressure get to you. Stay strong!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 12:03 PM

I think your letting an innocent comment get to you. You seem to be doing fine the way things are, so don't get carried away by a random comment he probably has forgotten.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 12:46 PM

I have been with my partner for nearly 4 years... we joke about marriage and he often refers to me as his "missus"

I don't expect him to propose, us being together is enough for me, it will happen eventually. Just don't stress about it or it will become an issue.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 08:59 AM

I don\t think you should let his comment freak you out. Every couple and individual go at their own speed. I have a cousin who's only been with her boyfriend for a year and a few months their getting married in 2 weeks. But I have several friends who\ve been with their bfs for 2/4 years and non of them have talked about it yet.

If it does bother you, you should consider talking to him about it. Like I wish said< communication is the key. But for right now, lower your shoulders and don\t sweat it. If you don\t want to go on the trip, don\t. if you're not ready for marrige, then your not. But it might be a good idea to talk to him about it ;)

Best of luck! ROXY!
    Survivor07 Posts: 380, Reputation: 143

May 9, 2009, 08:00 PM

The comment was just that... a comment.

If things are fine now and you're enjoying your relationship, then that's all that matters.

There's no hurry when it comes to marriage. I think it's very level-headed of you both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I wasting my time? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, Im 22 and I have been with my boyfriend who is 24 for 5 and a half years, and for the last 3 years I have been asking him every now and again what he wants from life and where he can see us going, It hasn't worried me in the past that he doesn't know what he wants, and doesn't really...

Am I wasting my time? [ 11 Answers ]

Am I wasting my time with this guy? He is 18 I'm 14 He has a girlfriend but apprently likes me And I've done stuff with him He recons he don't think with his , but he always brings it up or I'm ''horny'' Yeah I'm very confused at this age id never attempt to have sex! But getting to the stage...

Am I wasting my time? [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my ex had dated for 1 1/2 years when he decided that he wanted to have a break. I was completely OK with it... I mean I didn't want to hold him back if he didn't want to be with me for a while so we ended. Since then he has been making out that the whole reason we ended is my fault and my...

Am I wasting my time with him or wasting my time wondering? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello- Just call me dazed and confused! I 28 and have been in about a 6 month relationship. We've never really expressed that we love each other, which kind of bugs me but then again I don't want to put a time limit on things either. When asked if "this is the one?" I don't get that "gut...

View more questions Search