Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccg10252008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
    What information do potential employers legally have a right to know?
    Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the web. My husband works in a high frequency trading firm, and is currently in the process of interviewing with another trading firm. The high frequency trading industry is a very secretive and competitive industry, with companies always trying to secretly recruit others away from different firms. If his current employer found out he was even speaking with another firm, he could very possibly lose his job, or at the very least, any hopes of moving up within the company.

My husband is within his rights to look for another job and to leave to work for another firm (he has not signed a non-compete agreement with his current firm). However, the company he's interviewing with is insisting they know the name of the firm for which he currently works. Understandably, my husband does not want to divulge that information for fear of his current employer finding out, should this other company decided to try to recruit more people from his existing employer. However, he does not wish to jeopardize his chances of hiring into a potentially better company simply because he did not divulge his current employer's name.

Which brings me to my question: does my husband have the right to refuse to divulge such information? And if so, does this potential employer have a right to NOT hire him based on his discretion?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 03:04 PM

Let me ask you a question. Does he really need to find another job and go through this drama ? Of course he has the right to refuse, and take his chances. He has his principles, doesn't he ?

No matter what kind of job one looks for, be it cashier, sales, whatever. We all take the chance if we want to look to make more money but sometimes the results are just not worth the trouble. If one has a job, one should stay put for a while to see how the economy is going.

Do you work as well?

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find employers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find someone's current employer?

Can employers ask you about interviewing? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently went on an interview. My current supervisor directly asked me when if I had been on an interview. Then proceeded to "interrogate" me about it asking me the details of it. Can he/she do that? What is my recourse?

Can Employers legally devulge employee salary details to non-employees? Alabama [ 6 Answers ]

I work in Alabama and my employer shared the details of my salary to a customer. I felt that my privacy had been invaded and believed that the employer should have asked my consent before sharing such information. However, my employer insists that they did nothing wrong/illegal. Am I crazy or are...

Why are employers asking for w2's [ 2 Answers ]

Why are employers asking for w2's

H1 transfer from 2 employers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Employers A & B have applied for my H1 transfer.Since employer A has applied for premium procesing I am joining them.In the mean time employer B is doing the normal processing for my H1 and they have asked me to wait for the approval before I can join them.My question is that say I join A now...

View more questions Search