Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PET41 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Best Deck Stain & Preservative
    I have just finished my deck, which I built with 2" X 6" Treated Lumber. The lumber is light and I want to stain darker
    And leave the grain showing. I also want it protected from water damage, etc. TIA
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 11:38 AM

Thompson makes a few good stains like Advanced. They also have this too Thompson'sŪ WaterSealŪ Products - ThompsonsWaterSeal.com Water Seal Plus Wood Protector which comes in 5 colors. You can brush it, roll it or spray it. I used to use a heavy duty Wagner sprayer but found a garden sprayer works just as well.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    The lumber is light in color and I want to stain darker
    and leave the grain showing. I also want it protected from water damage,
    I would wait a summer season and let the new treated deck dry out. The wood needs to be dry enough to accept the stain

The oxy part here is you want a dark stain but want to see the grain. I have a saying for this "The darker the stain the less you see the grain " I wanted to bring that to your attention. If you are fussy and it sounds so, buy a small can and test it and let dry to see if you are happy with the look. If so then its not wasted. If you don't like the color and shade, all you wasted was a small can and not a whole deck you don't want to look at.

Thompson as bal suggested is good. Basic is the cheaper the stain/sealer is the worst it usually preforms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spotted deck stain [ 1 Answers ]

I recently (last week) stained my deck using behr natural wood protector. After cleaning the deck with recommended cleaner, power washing and letting dry, I applied the product. It looks spotty, uneven and terrible. Would a deck stripper work on something this recent or should I reapply the stain?...

Old deck stain [ 1 Answers ]

I used a 9year old oil based stain on deck 3 days ago and decking is still tacky do I continue to just wait or do I need to remove it

Paint or stain 18 year old pressure treated deck [ 4 Answers ]

My summer home is on a lake in northern Michigan. We have hot summers and cold and deep snow in the winter, this is very hard on my deck. I have used a number of products to stain/seal the deck but the older is gets the harder it is to keep a nice look to the wood. I am considering paint or a...

Deck Stain [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best deck stain to use? I have used Behr the past 4 years and every year I have to restain.

Ugly deck stain [ 1 Answers ]

We just purchased a house and the deck is stained a country blue color. I assume it's stain because it's faded and no paint is chipping off. Is there any way to change the color of the deck? We'd like to stain it a dark reddish brown. We're not sure if we can just stain over it or if we have to...

View more questions Search