Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kevin5286 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Prepare a Correct Trial Balance.
    Dear AskMeHelpDesk Community !
    This is my first post ever since I found this site is so helpful for everything which I concern. Thanks for everyone who has been contributing to this community.

Actually I can do most of my accounting homeworks, I can do the journal, ledger, prepare the trial balance, income statement... But I found myself difficulty when every time I attempt to correct an unbalance Trial Balance. It makes me confuse somehow, I knows I am getting there, but it's like I don't know where I am wrong.

And here is the problem, I appreciate for any helps or advice, you don;'t have to reply the whole thing, just let me know what I have to do.

The trial balance of Ron Salem Co, shown below does not balance

So what I know is Cash should be on Debit side, Unearned Revenue should be on Credit side.

Each of the listed accounts has a normal balance per the general ledger. An Examination of the ledger and journal reveals the following errors:

1/ Cash received from a customer in payment of its account was debit for 570, and accounts Receivable was credit for the same amount. The actual collection was for 750
    --> So I know we should debit 750 to Cash instead of 570 and credit to Accounts Receivable 750 instead of 570. Is it rite, if yes, what should I do next?

2/ The purchase of a typewriter on account for 340 was record as a debit to Supplies for 340 and a credit to Accounts Payable for 340
    --> So I should correct it to Debit to Equipments 340 and Credit to Accounts Payable for 340, what should I do next?

3/ Services were performed on account for a client for 890. Accounts Receivable was debited for 890 and Service Revenue was credited for 89
    --> Service Revenue should be credited for 890, the difference is 801$, what happen now, what can I do with this number?

4/ A debit posting to Salaries Expense of 367 was omitted.
    --> So I have to add up 367$ to Salaries Expense account, rite?

5/ A payment of a balance due for 309 was credit to cash for 309 and credit to Accounts Payable for 390.
    --> It should be Credited to Cash for 309 and Debited to Account Payable for 309, what should I do now?

6/ The withdrawal of 500 cash for Salem Personal use was debit to Salaries Expense for 500 cash and credit to cash for 500.
    --> It should be debited to Salem Drawing for 500 and credited to Cash for 500, rite ?

So what is the correct Trial Balance? Can anyone help me? I really appreciate for any helps.
    Thanks in advance.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin5286
    So what I know is Cash should be on Debit side, Unearned Revenue should be on Credit side.
    I agree with that.

1/ Cash received from a customer in payment of its account was debit for 570, and accounts Receivable was credit for the same amount. The actual collection was for 750
    --> So I know we should debit 750 to Cash instead of 570 and credit to Accounts Receivable 750 instead of 570. Is it rite, if yes, what should I do next?
    Yes, that is right.

So, since only 570 was done, the other 750-570 = $180 should be added

Dr. Cash 180
    Cr. AR 180

2/ The purchase of a typewriter on account for 340 was record as a debit to Supplies for 340 and a credit to Accounts Payable for 340
    --> So I should correct it to Debit to Equipments 340 and Credit to Accounts Payable for 340, what should I do next?
    Originally, what was done was:
    Dr. Supplies 340
    Cr. Accounts Payable 340

What should have been done was
    Dr. Equipment 340
    Cr. Accounts Payable 340

As you can see, no adjustment needs to be made to AP, since it was done properly

So, you need to:
    Dr. Equipment 340
    Cr. Supplies 340 (to get rid of the original wrong Journal Entry)

3/ Services were performed on account for a client for 890. Accounts Receivable was debited for 890 and Service Revenue was credited for 89
    --> Service Revenue should be credited for 890, the difference is 801$, what happen now, what can I do with this number?
    You are correct.
    So, the original was JE was:
    DR. AR 890
    Cr. Revenue 89

So now you need to:
    Cr. Revenue 801

4/ A debit posting to Salaries Expense of 367 was omitted.
    --> So I have to add up 367$ to Salaries Expense account, rite?
    Yes.

5/ A payment of a balance due for 309 was credit to cash for 309 and credit to Accounts Payable for 390.
    --> It should be Credited to Cash for 309 and Debited to Account Payable for 309, what should I do now?
    What was done:
    Cr. AP 390
    Cr. Cash 309

What should have been done:
    Dr. AP 309
    Cr. Cash 309

Adjusting JE
    Dr. AP 390
    Dr. AP 309

Or, you can just say Dr. AP 699

6/ The withdrawal of 500 cash for Salem Personal use was debit to Salaries Expense for 500 cash and credit to cash for 500.
    --> It should be debited to Salem Drawing for 500 and credited to Cash for 500, rite ?
    Yes.

Was:
    Dr. Salaries Expense 500
    Cr. Cash 500

Should have:
    Dr. Drawing 500
    Cr. Cash 500

Adjusting:
    Dr. Drawing 500
    Cr. Salaries Expense 500

So, the new adjusted trial balance looks like this:

Debits:
    Cash 4,020
    Accounts Receivable 3,051
    Supplies 460
    Equipment 3,340
    R. Salem, Drawings 1,300
    Salaries Expense 3,267
    Office Expense 910

Total Debits = $16,348

Credits:
    Accounts Payable 1,967
    Unearned Revenue 2,200
    R. Salem, Capital 9,000
    Service Revenue 3,181

Total Credits = $16,348
    Kevin5286 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Thank you so much for all your help Captain Forest, that is awesome.
    Since I used to get confused with Uncorrect Trial Balances, your post and explanation help me understand about the method and I am sure I can adjust any uncorrect trial balance now.
    Thanks again Captain Forest.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
    You're welcome.
    abcd_55.ght Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 04:26 PM
    I am doing a balance sheet for a class and I do not understand how to place everything. What would go under what? Like Rent, take-home sakary, checking account, savings account food, educational loan, value automoble, telephone pd for month, credit card balance, loan payment,auto insurance,household possessions, stero equipment, electricity, lunches/parking at work, donations, home computer, stock investment, clothing,and restaurant. Can someone help me out with these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I prepare? [ 1 Answers ]

I need a gifted psychic to help me. My relationship is changing. I am in fear that he is not the same person I thought he was. Is he being honest with me? And if not what is he hiding? My birthday is 6-18-82 his is 5-5-79. If you need more info please message me.

Trial balance [ 3 Answers ]

I have this question about a trial balance, every time I try to balance it I come with debits 42,110 and credits 42,390. I really do not enjoy trial balances and my teacher has not explained one in class yet, but it is in my homework. The subtractions and additions are my attempts to balance them...

One more trial balance question [ 1 Answers ]

never mind I solved it, while asking the question, sorry The Julien Hotel opened for business on May 1, 2007. Here is its trial balance before adjustment on May 31. JULIEN HOTEL Trial Balance May 31, 2007 DEBITS Cash $ 2,500 Prepaid Insurance 1,800 Supplies 2,600

Need help with balancing unadjusting trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need help with this trial balance. I have tried to balance it after adjusting it, but it just wouldn't balance in the end for me. Can someone please help me out. Cash (debit) 4200 Prepaid insurance (debit) ...

Post closing trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Is this how I do the post closing trial balance? Cash debit 6695 Accounts rec debit 1000 Supplies debit 1320 Prepaid rent debit 1650 Prepaid insurance debit 1650 Office equipment debit 9000 Accumulated depreciation credit 250 Accounts payable credit 900

View more questions Search