Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattijo55 Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Apr 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Won't use cat box and meows all the time
    Our kitten is almost 1 yr now. We found her in the alley at around 1 month old. We took him in and he used the cat box all the time until he was about 3 months old. Now he just pees anywhere he decides to. Another thing... he meows a lot. I've had a cat before and he meows much much more than I think he should. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks Patti
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:17 AM

Is he neutered? If not,their in lies the problem.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:22 AM

Is it a he or a she?? You use both in your post
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:23 AM

My first thought is to second artlady. Has he been neutered?

If he has been neutered, thereby ruling out one simple explanation for the behavior, could you say a little more about the constant meowing? Some cats are just very vocal--one of mine walks around much of the day talking his head off. But this can also sometimes be indicative of some distress. That, together with the urination, has me wondering about a urinary tract infection.

My advice would be to get him neutered if he isn't already. If he has been neutered, then you might want to consider a trip to the vet, preferably with a urine specimen in tow.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Is it a he or a she??? you use both in your post
    Good catch, shaz!

If your cat is a female, then she could be in heat. Same deal as above: If she hasn't been spayed, get her spayed and the problem will go away.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:31 AM

however getting urine from a cat sounds like quite a challenge:)
    It's a nightmare! I hate it with a passion.

And thanks for the greenie, artlady.
    pattijo55 Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Apr 21, 2009, 07:30 AM

Thanks for all the responses. It's so funny that I put him and her because when we found him we thought he was a girl. Actually she followed our dogs home. A lady just walks out in the alley and placed the kitten there, (like she was puttin out the garbage)... so we called her Allie. Its very apparent now that he's a boy so now he's Al E Cat. :) My hubby and I have decided to take him in and get him neutered. I hope it works. Until then... is there some safe chemical spray to keep him from peein' just anywhere? I know there is for dogs. I'll wait for your responses. Patti
    kittyjen7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Another thing you may want to try if neutering or spading doesn't work, is clean the area and then begin feeding him where he is urinating. Cats usually will not go in the same area that they eat.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:38 PM

A lot of urine issues are caused by infections. If it continues, consider booking an appointment with your vet.
    They will want a urine sample - there are a few ways to do that. You can go to the clinic and request something called NoSorb, its basically cat litter that doesn't absorb liquid. That way you can collect the urine and bring it to the clinic. However - the sample should be fresh. After sitting for some time, crystals can form that look very similar to crystals caused by UTIs.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to book an appointment with the vet later in the day and try to ensure your cat doesn't pee until then (though that's a lot easier said than done!) That way they can collect the urine there. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Directions to set time on Seiko World Time Touch Sensor clock. [ 7 Answers ]

I need directions to set the time on Seiko World Time Touch Sensor clock. RefONS901G. Cal YJ20. The clock has a B C buttons to set time. Thanks, Tom Disregard! I figured it out. Thanks, Tom

Part time or full time New York resident taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband in the was USARMY stationed at West Point, New York up until the end of August of 2008 therefore he was not a New York resident. We moved to Highland Falls, New York September 15,2008. Do we file a part time New York resident form? He was only a New York resident from September 15, 2008...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Lethargic cat, meows very low [ 2 Answers ]

Since last night my cat has acted very strange. He is 5 years old. He makes that really low meowing sound like cats do if they are mad and hissed a lot. He licks his private area a lot and doesn't move around much or eat. If you call to him he used to come to you right away but you can't get...

View more questions Search