Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pollydwes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Taxes for 1099C
    I called a bank and told them to come pick up a car back in 2001. They came and stole it in the middle of the night when all they had to do is ring the doorbell and ask for the keys. They damaged the carport with the car. I went and picked my belongings up in Irving, a 60 mile drive, at a cost of 25$.
    I just received a 1099C for the tax year 2007. The IRS received a copy, but I never did. How can I be liable for the remainder of debt, when we gave them the car back and they had already sold it when I went to pick up my belongings?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 09:34 AM

Probably what happened is they sold the car at auction for less than what you owed on the loan, and hence the forgiven portion of the loan is considered to be income to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Co-signer responsible for tax on a cancellation of debt for taxes(1099C)? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if a Co-signer responsible for tax on a cancellation of debt for taxes(1099C)? I have not received a 1099 c yet and wondered if I should be looking for one. I Co-signed a loan for a car and it was repo'd. I ended up settling with the bank. The person I co-signed for is GONE!...

Taxes from a 1099C or A [ 1 Answers ]

How does a person prove insolvency if they get a 1099C or A. I know it is assets to debt ratio. How does a person prove that. Does a the original loan amount that was taken over by the bank via foreclosure count as the debt as well or the amount that was not forgiven?

1099C not being sent for 3 yrs [ 1 Answers ]

Im being told by Citi card that they will not send the 1099C for 3 yrs And IRS states that is a banking law, possibly okay. Can anyone tell me If this is correct and does this accure interest or what ?:eek:

1099c [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , From a debtors point of view is it better for me to Settle an account in full or pay in full? If I settle an account and the Debtor writes off more than $600 -How much tax will I end up paying according to 1099c ? Regards, Madhavi

1099c [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit debt of $14,000 and settled to pay 7,000, which I had borrowed from my brother. How does this affect me filing my taxes? The 1099 C is for $7,000. By adding this as other income, I think it will make me owe quite a bit ot the IRS. Can you shed some light on this.

View more questions Search