Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troymusle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Taxes from a 1099C or A
    How does a person prove insolvency if they get a 1099C or A. I know it is assets to debt ratio. How does a person prove that. Does a the original loan amount that was taken over by the bank via foreclosure count as the debt as well or the amount that was not forgiven?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 11:01 AM

1. You may have to report sale on Schedule D (Form 1040).
    2. Any debt canceled is your income if it was recourse liability.
    3. If you lived in the house for two years and owned it for two years in last 5-years, you may be eligible to exclude gain of up to $250,000. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Profit From the Sale of Your Home
    4. The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 generally allows taxpayers to exclude income from the discharge of debt of recourse loan on their principal residence. Read about foreclosure or repossession Your U.S. Tax Return: Foreclosure or Repossession of Main Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Co-signer responsible for tax on a cancellation of debt for taxes(1099C)? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if a Co-signer responsible for tax on a cancellation of debt for taxes(1099C)? I have not received a 1099 c yet and wondered if I should be looking for one. I Co-signed a loan for a car and it was repo'd. I ended up settling with the bank. The person I co-signed for is GONE!...

1099C not being sent for 3 yrs [ 1 Answers ]

Im being told by Citi card that they will not send the 1099C for 3 yrs And IRS states that is a banking law, possibly okay. Can anyone tell me If this is correct and does this accure interest or what ?:eek:

1099c and my foreclosure [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I had to forclose on our house at the end of last year. The foreclosure date was actually on the 29th of December, and the house did not sell at auction. I just received in the mail a 1099c from my lender for the entire amount of their loan, 400k. My understanding of how this works...

1099c [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , From a debtors point of view is it better for me to Settle an account in full or pay in full? If I settle an account and the Debtor writes off more than $600 -How much tax will I end up paying according to 1099c ? Regards, Madhavi

1099c [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit debt of $14,000 and settled to pay 7,000, which I had borrowed from my brother. How does this affect me filing my taxes? The 1099 C is for $7,000. By adding this as other income, I think it will make me owe quite a bit ot the IRS. Can you shed some light on this.

View more questions Search