Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swaminathan7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Pest Control on BED BUGs
    I am interested to know if there shall be any respite immediately when I use the Naphthalene Balls to eliminate the Bed Bugs. I have an idea of making powder of the naphthalene balls and stuff the same in small plastic pouches and spread the same in different parts of the bed and cover it with bed spread. Also it may be spread in different area between the bed and surface area of the cot. Naturally this may cause suffocation and believe that the bed bugs may be killed. Does my idea work effectively? Please help by replying me through e-mail.

Regards.

SWAMINATHAN
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Apr 13, 2009, 04:14 PM

I would not use naphthalene in the way that you mention. Besides the terrible smell that would leave on your bed that you sleep on, there are health issues with its use.

Naphthalene | Technology Transfer Network Air Toxics Web site | US EPA

I have never had to deal with bed bugs, but reading about them, and with my education and experience, I would say that bed bugs have similarities to roaches in that they like to hide in cracks and crevices, come out at night, and the control methods are similar in some respects.

If this applies, your box spring mattress might be most problematic. It would be great if you could start with a new bed, but I can understand how that might not be possible. See the link below for how to set up your bed so that bed bugs can't crawl up the bed posts. Look for their hiding places. Look for their evidence = fecal blood spots and odor. I would bet there are some hidden spots where you will find many of them lurking in one place. Treat those hiding places with a legitimate crack and crevice insecticide. Use the same insecticides that are used for roaches. Seal up all the entrances to your bedroom as best you can. Use tight fitting screens on the window. Get rid of all the animal nests that might be infesting the rafters, etc. Good luck.

Bed Bug Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Pyrethrins in a dust formula would work much better applied the way you describe and not be as dangerous to humans. If pyrethrins are unavailable, boric acid roach powder sprinkled all over the beddng might work.

The bed is not the only place to treat. They can hide in flooring cracks, behind baseboards and paneling, and just about anyplace close and dark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pest control [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of ground wasps?

Pest control [ 5 Answers ]

Chipmunks have destroyed the wiring in my heating and air. How do I protect my heating and air, how do I keep them out of my crawlspace, how do I keep them off my property. Thanks

Pest control [ 2 Answers ]

Soo my husband and I bought a house 2months ago. With all the fees that were paid, part of it was to pay for termite spraying. We closed the deal on the house in March so far we STILL have not had anything done. The company is a mom and pop that was hired by the sellers to spray. They have...

Pest control [ 1 Answers ]

How do I keep bees off my hummingbird feeder?

View more questions Search