Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caimakale Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
    Wiring circuits with smokes & lights
    I am building my basement right now and have been reading about wiring and circuits. I thought I had everything figured out for my basement until I started looking into my lighting circuit today. I had a circuit that I thought I could easily add to, to handle my needs. I will be adding three bedrooms and a family room. I will probably still be OK, but I will really have to reduce the number of recessed lights in my family room.

Here's my problem though. I noticed that my smoke detectors are also run on my lighting circuit. While this is common to have them wired on a lighting circuit, I can't find anything that says how many watts a smoke detector consumes. I currently have 6 smokes upstairs that are on this circuit and one downstairs. I will be adding 4 more downstairs and need to know how they will affect how many lights I can have. The lights are all wired with 14/2 wire, and the smokes with 14/3. I need to know how many watts smokes consume so I can properly figure out how many lights I can have on the circuit without overloading it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
    No one ever asked, so I had to look, and I see what you mean, I cannot find any load ratings for several of the popular manufacturers of smoke alarms. Most do state not to interconnect more than 18, but I think this is due to the limit of the inteconnecting switch. The load of a SD must be extremely low, not to have it published on product spec sheets.

Do not worry about the load of the detectors. You need to be cautious of the amount of lighting on one circuit. A 15 Amp circuit can handle a total of 1800 watts. In commercial, we derate that by 80%, bringing the total load down to 1440 watts, and usually use that in residential, as a safety factor.

The 80% rule is for anything that operates 3 hours or more, which is unlikely in homes.

Also, all bedroom wiring must be protected with an ARC Fault circuit breaker,
    And not the smoke detectors on that wiring. So install a separate Arc Fault circuit for the bedrooms, and leave the detectors on the original circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuits [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that the switch has been closed for a length of time sufficiently long for the capacitor to become fully charged. (a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor. R1=16.00 kΩ, R2=12.00 kΩ, and R3=2.00 kΩ. (b) find the charge on the capacitor. 9.00V, 10.0uC I found part (a) but I'm...

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

Wiring one switch for multiple lights [ 2 Answers ]

I understand the wiring for a single switch for a single light but what do I do with multiple lights on the one switch without making the whole circuit run off that switch. There are other outlets that need constant power on the same line as the two lights.

Basement wiring (question of separate circuits) [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I will be wiring my basement soon (about 1400sqf) with one family/TV room, a bedroom, an office and a bathroom. They ran only one 15AMP circuit that currently operates basement lights (8 of them) and 2 GFI outlets. They also put each bedroom upstairs on a separete circuit breaker with a...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search