Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craiga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Craftsman 42" rider 15hp Kohler runs, dies when clutch released or cutter deck lowere
    Craftsman 42" rider 15hp Kohler runs, dies when clutch released or cutter deck lowered.
    Seems like a safety switch problem, no idea how to troubleshoot

Any insight greatly appreciated

In advance, many thanks for any replies

craiga
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 10:59 AM

Start by checking the safety switch under your seat,it appears to think you are not seated on the mower. The switch should normally be a closed circuit which is opened when the switch is depressed, by your sitting down. You can also unplug the switch at the harness under the seat, that takes this switch out of the mix.
    restoren Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
    As Ballengerb1 said try that.
    I have a craftsman intex 42"with the 19.5.
    I tried that on mine just to get around it,and it ran horrible ALL the time.
    You might want to check the contact on the seat.If it looks dirty corroded etc.clean it up.
    Steal wool,wire brush,light sand paper,or a giant sand blaster!just playen, just make sure there's
    Good contact between the two element's.
    Best of luck,and good riding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15.5hp Kohler in a Craftsman rider-won't start [ 38 Answers ]

The mower cranks, and cranks... will not start. I tested the sparkplug, had no spark, so I replaced it with a gold/plat plug (upgrade from standard). I put in a new ground, in case the other is getting old--figured too many will not hurt-checked the fuse-looked a little dirty, but not blown....

Scotts tractor dies when clutch released [ 4 Answers ]

have a 23 hp 48" cut scotts lawn tractor that runs rough to begin with but when I go to release the clutch it wants to die.

Craftsman 16 hp 42 in. Lawn tractor won"t engage when clutch is released. [ 1 Answers ]

Once the mower is started, the engine runs fine, until the clutch/brack pedal is released, then the engine quits. Where would be the first place to check for a problem? Grateful for any answers!:)Thanks!

Sears garden tractor dies when clutch is released [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 25HP 2003 model Sears tractor that dies each time I either release the clutch or turn on the mower PTO. I have replaced the plunger switch under the seat but that didn't solve the problem.

View more questions Search