Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lremin8800 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Sears garden tractor dies when clutch is released
    I have a 25HP 2003 model Sears tractor that dies each time I either release the clutch or turn on the mower PTO. I have replaced the plunger switch under the seat but that didn't solve the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
    There is a similar switch on the linkage for the clutch. The one you replaced keeps you from getting off the tractor while the blade is engaged. You were on the right track.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
    My mower is not a Sears but the condition you suggest occurs on my MTD

When you try to go in reverse - while the mower blade is engaged...

A Switch by shifter and switch on the mower engaging lever kill engine

The one on the seat kills engine when you get up off seat...

I would say to call Sear's --- They can probably help but it usually takes

A long time on phone to talk to them...

Nov 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Biggsie, that was a very unpopular safety feature MTD tried, can't go in reverse with the blade engaged. I think they have dropped that feature since it caused a lot of complaints and people bypassing the safety switch.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Ball is correct on the aggravation part of the reverse kill switch. I mean you purchase a unit with the hydrostatic transmission that is operated by your foot and mow forward, then pull up close to something, mash the back of the pedal and it dies. Many of these have been bypassed. That is something we do not do except for diagnostics and will not even tell someone how to do it themselves. That keeps it safer for us.

Nov 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Actually I think we have Iremin headed in the right direction but here is an inetresting note. I just took delivery of a LT2000 Sears tractor that has an option on the ignition switch called ROS (reverse operation switch). If you just start the tractor and leave the key in the on position it will kill if you put it in reverse with the blade engaged. If you leave the key in the ROS spot it keeps running with the blade engaged and in reverse. I only tell you this because it is new to me and may affect how we answer questions in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 19.5 hp sears tractor. Last year it didn't run well, so same this year. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil, fuel filter, took apart carb and cleaned all the goop out. I checked the fuel pump, but cannot tell if it really works, but I do have vacuum at the base of it. The...

Smell of burning rubber after changing drive belt on Sears Garden Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I changed the Motion Drive Belt on my 20hp 1999 Sears Garden Tractor. After changing, tested it, and it has plenty of "pick up" and runs good. However, after a minute or two, smell burning rubber. Is this normal, perhaps a "break in" period, or is it likely I have done something wrong?

Lawn tractor dies [ 2 Answers ]

My Poulan Pro riding lawn tractor starts easily. If I try to release the clutch after I put it in gear, it dies. If I try to engage the blades, it dies. What could cause this?

View more questions Search