Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenneth Rhodes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Wire up a Outlet with a Pigtail.
    How do you wire up a outlet with a pigtail.

{Moved from Forum Help. Please pay more attention to posting rules. Forum Help is clearly marked as only for questions about using this site. <>}
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Kenneth, please explain a bit better what you want to do.

Pigtailing a receptacle just means putting short tails of wire on the device and splicing them to the wires in the box.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 08:43 AM

Wiring an outlet using pigtails is easy enough assuming you already have a live line/circuit passing through a box, do you? We could use a few more details, what is there now?
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 12, 2009, 11:45 PM

A "pigtail" is a short piece of wire.

If you have an outlet in the middle of the circuit, you twist together the black wires coming from both directions, and also a short (about 6") piece of black wire under one wirenut. Connect the pigtail to the brass screw on the receptacle.

Do the same thing with the white wires. Twist the two wires coming into the box together with a short white pigtail under one wirenut. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the silver screw on the receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding wire pigtail [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed an exterior light on my older home. I connected the house grounding wire with the light grounding wire. But, the directions mentioned a pigtail grounding wire (not included of course) and there is a green grounding screw on the metal plate. So do I need to get/install a grounding...

Wiring a 4 wire pigtail to a whirpool dryer 3 connector [ 1 Answers ]

Have a whirpool Senseon dryer that only has 3 connectors and the ground wire is currently screwed to the frame. My new house requires a 4 wire pigtail/plug. Do you just ground the 4th green wire to the frame? Is this acceptable wiring for this 4 wire pigtail?

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

View more questions Search