Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinesestunna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Filing Jointly for Federal with NRA spouse, what about GA State?
    Hi all,

I am a citizen and married a foreign spouse. We are in the process of immigration proceedings but that's another topic :) Anyway, I found out that for this year, we can file jointly for Federal Income Taxes with a W-7 form applying for an ITIN. I'm using TurboTax to prepare my returns.

Just as I thought I had everything figured out - I get to the GA state tax portion. I'm a full time resident but my wife is a Non-Resident Alien and therefore does not have a SSN. Since GA requires me to file under the same status as my Federal (MFJ), what do I put for her SSN (required field)?

Any help would be appreciated!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 11:48 AM

For federal tax return, attach W7 with your tax return.
    For GA tax return, get extension. File after you get ITIN.
    You can file as married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately. In most cases, it is better to file as MFJ. If you file MFS, you will not get many credits and deductions.Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    chinesestunna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    For federal tax return, attach W7 with your tax return.
    For GA tax return, get extension. File after you get ITIN.
    You can file as married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately. In most cases, it is better to file as MFJ. If you file MFS, you will not get many credits and deductions.Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    Wow thank you so much! A quick follow up question: For the W7 - do I have to send in her passport (original) or can I send a notarized copy along with a notarized copy of our marriage certificate? I'm a little iffy about sending in her original passport...
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

You can send notarized copies; notarized in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married. My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly? If I file...

Spouse and I live in MA and MD - Filing status for Federal & State taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I lived and worked in MA and my spouse lived and worked in MD for the whole year of 2008. Looking at some of similar questions, it appears that for federal taxes we can file as Married Filing Jointly. However we are not sure of what to do for our respective states. Any advice would be...

Spouse working in different state while married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My income is in NY and my wife's income is from Massachusetts. Can I file the Federal return as "Married filing Joint" and state return of NY and MA as married filing separate ? We have 2 houses one in NY and other in MA, and I travel to MA on weekends.. Can I claim myself as resident of...

Married Filing Jointly Vs Separarely - Federal Vs State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live and work in OH. I got married in June 2007. My wife lived in NJ until Aug 2007 and moved from NJ to OH in Aug 2007. If I choose to file jointly for federal tax returns, do I need to file jointly for OH and NJ state returns? If I have a choice for the state returns, which one should I...

Married filing federal jointly and state separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Need to clarify something. I was a resident of Texas and my wife was a resident of California in 2006. We now live in California. I moved over here last week of December 2006 but did not start working here till the first week of Jan 2007. All my income in 2006 was in TX and my wife's in...

View more questions Search