Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnsoma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Different state employees filing married jointly for federal but separate state tax?
    We got married in Dec 06 month. We want to file federal tax 2007 married jointly. She lives in Alabama and I live in Wisconsin. I am a resident alien and she is not. For federal, I can apply 1040 R, jointly married.

My question is whether we have to file state tax married jointly?

If I file jointly I need to use 1NPR of Wisconsin and I don't know whether I will get standard deduction. If I file separately, I will get standard deduction for state tax.

Please let me know.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 02:17 AM

Normally if you file federal return as married filing jointly, then you file state returns as married filing jointly.

On Alabama return, your spouse is resident and will declare her income. You are nonresident and have no Alabama income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse working in different state while married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My income is in NY and my wife's income is from Massachusetts. Can I file the Federal return as "Married filing Joint" and state return of NY and MA as married filing separate ? We have 2 houses one in NY and other in MA, and I travel to MA on weekends.. Can I claim myself as resident of...

Married Filing Federal Joint State Separate [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Sept 2007, I work in NY and my wife works in NJ. We both presently live in NY. Before we were married my wife lived in NJ. I want to file my federal return jointly and my NY and NJ State return separate because of an increase in the return. Is that possible?

Married Filing Jointly Vs Separarely - Federal Vs State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live and work in OH. I got married in June 2007. My wife lived in NJ until Aug 2007 and moved from NJ to OH in Aug 2007. If I choose to file jointly for federal tax returns, do I need to file jointly for OH and NJ state returns? If I have a choice for the state returns, which one should I...

Married filing jointly for 2006 spouse arrived on Jan 2007 no itin 2 state filings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on H1 since Nov05. In 2006, I had 2 life events: Marriage & Moving I have the following questions: 1. I got married in Dec2006. My spouse arrived in Jan07 & is a homemaker after marriage. Do I file as Married filing jointly or Married filing separately? 2. I have 2 State...

Married filing federal jointly and state separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Need to clarify something. I was a resident of Texas and my wife was a resident of California in 2006. We now live in California. I moved over here last week of December 2006 but did not start working here till the first week of Jan 2007. All my income in 2006 was in TX and my wife's in...

View more questions Search