Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dorisfranco Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Confused about bathtub
    I have been looking to drop in bathtubs for a while. My bathroom is very small but i want something modern. I want a cast iron tub that is drop in so that it can be tiled. I am very limited because of the size of my bathroom. This is my main bathroom and the other one is a half bathroom. Should i combined them together? I was thinking about the tea for two and the toto cast iron tub. The drain for the tea for two is very expensive. Any suggestions please?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 27, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Hello Doris

To answer that properly can you please indicate :

How big/small is the total bathroom area at present (and if combined) ?
    A small drawing or photo of the area would be nice to assist in suggesting .

Mar 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
    The room is 88x76. I tried to send you a file but the website won't allowed me because the file is too big.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dorisfranco View Post
    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO DROP IN BATHTUBS FOR A WHILE. mY BATHROOM IS VERY SMALL BUT i WANT SOMETHING MODERN. i WANT A CAST IRON TUB THAT IS DROP IN SO THAT IT CAN BE TILED. i AM VERY LIMITED BECAUSE OF THE SIZE OF MY BATHROOM. tHIS IS MY MAIN BATHROOM AND THE OTHER ONE IS A HALF BATHROOM. sHOULD i COMBINED THEM TOGETHER? i WAS THINKING ABOUT THE TEA FOR TWO AND THE TOTO CAST IRON TUB. tHE DRAIN FOR THE TEA FOR TWO IS VERY EXPENSIVE. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?
    Until you're sure about what size of tub and if you're going to combine the two baths we can't be of much help. Could you be a little more specific?
    And lose the caps. Caps indicate yelling and that's impolite. Regards, Tom

Mar 27, 2009, 01:37 PM

Sorry about caps. I don't usually talk online. My bathtub can be 5.5x32x18 something like that. If I don't combine bathrooms my bathroom measure is 88x76. My contractor said if I use a drop in cast iron I cannot use a glass door because it will eventually leak where the tile covers the front of the tub. He also said he cannot guarantee the job if I use a cast iron tub because is too heavy and the house is above the ground. This will be a problem because the tiles can cracked. Is there anything I can buy or do with my bathroom? Thank you very much for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
    My contractor said if I use a drop in cast iron I cannot use a glass door because it will eventually leak where the tile covers the front of the tub. He also said he cannot guarantee the job if I use a cast iron tub because is too heavy and the house is above the ground.
    I'm no tile man but it sounds a little fishy to me.
    Perhaps one of our other experts can chime in. However, I've installed many a cast iron tub on the second floor with no problems. What seems to be his. If I were in your shoes Iwould open up the two baths into one and do a bang up job. The Kohler Tea for Two Whirlpoo,(see image)l looks like a blast. But it's a cast iron tub, did your plumber find substandard joists and flooring that would prevent you from installing it? Why is he so reluctant to install what you want installed.
    Have you thought about getting a few more opinions? Good luck in whatever you decide and if we can be of assistance just call on us. Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Hi all:

I know the tub and have installed it in the past. I see no issue with installing it on a second floor if that's what you as the customer want. The contractor may need to beef up the joists for the tea for two tub... but can be done otherwise.

I don't see how you would use glass doors with a drop in tub... unless the tile dropped on top of the tub at the back wall and the side walls and the glass door sat directly on the tub at the front. The glass doors should not be set below the lip of the tub.

Answer Tom's questions... see what else we can come up with...

MARK

Mar 29, 2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I think I will be getting a few more opinions. I really know what I want and I don't want to settle for less. Thank you
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2009, 06:26 AM
    I really know what I want and I don't want to settle for less.
    And you shouldn't have to! Nexer let anybody talk you into settling for less. Let us know what you decide and if we can help just ask. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub tap [ 1 Answers ]

My bathtub hot water tap won't shut off.I turned off the water what do I do next?help!

Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush the toilet the bathtub gurgles ,not all the time but most of the time

Downstairs bathtub fills when draining upstairs bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my old house (1959) with all new plumbing (2008) is having some problems already, when using the upstairs bathtub for the first time, I was shocked when I noticed that my small downstairs bathtub was full of dirty water. And the toilet beside the small downstairs bathtub would only drain slowly...

My bathtub leaks! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, everyone, I have a bath tub on the 2nd floor of my home that is leaking into my ceiling. We thought we soved it by remodeling and put in a new tub but after three years this one is leaking. Any ideas? Joan

Help! Under the bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

We are putting in a new tub due to some leakage in the previous tub surround. When we pulled up the tub, the tub drain hooks to a larger drain. The top of this larger drain appears to be open. Is this to vent the drain? It appears that the toilet also hooks to this drain. What keeps the...

View more questions Search