Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aleles Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Moving expenses from abroad, f1 to h1b
    Dear tax experts,

I went home abroad right after I got my h1b after f1. Basically, I moved to my new job location from my home abroad, even though I graduated from a university in the States before that. My company calculated and reimbursed my moving expenses based on the location of my university in the States. I was wondering, is it possible to actually claim moving expenses calculated from my home abroad rather than a school in the States?

There is an example in the publication 519 where a guy moved from UK and claimed about $8000 of moving expenses.

If it is possible, then what documents do you need to have to claim something, receipts? Do you attach them to your return?
    Also what kind of items you can claim, gas, airfaire, new furniture?

Thank you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 02:59 AM

Which return did you file in 2007? When did you leave the U.S. and enter the U.S. on H1-B?

When you left the U.S. did you move with all your goods and left the rented home?

Mar 19, 2009, 07:29 AM

MukatA,

In 2007 I filed 1040NR as a non resident. It was my second year in the States on F1.
    I left the States on Aug 4th an came back on Oct 13th as H1B holder.
    I didn't own any furniture, so I took all my goods and left the rented apartment when I went home. In Oct I flew directly to my new location in another state and purchased all necessary furniture (that I would like to claim as moving expenses if possible) there.

I also need to mention that I got married while I was at home and my wife is coming soon. I'm filing for extension now as you recommended me in one of the previous posts to wait until I meet SPT. If I can claim airfare as moving expenses, can I claim my wife's airfare as well? What are other items that you can claim as moving expenses?

Thank you for your help!

Mar 22, 2009, 08:28 PM

Mukat, can you please answer this question. I provided the details you asked above.

Thank you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 11:38 PM

Yes, you can claim moving expenses on your tax return.
    You can also claim moving expenses for your wife in the year she comes to the U.S. that is you can not claim in 2008.

Mar 23, 2009, 07:17 AM

Great! Do I need to have receipts? Can I claim such expenses as new furniture I bought when I came here?

Thank you.
    sandeepg Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 09:50 AM
    You cannot claim furniture :)
    Quote Originally Posted by aleles View Post
    Great! Do I need to have receipts? Can I claim such expenses as new furniture I bought when I came here?

Thank you.

Mar 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
    What proof should I have to claim moving expenses, receipts?
    What if I had a roundtrip air ticket and half of it relates to my moving. Should I divide the airfare by half?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 24, 2009, 08:34 AM
    The airline ticket for your wife ONLY is what you can claim; going home to get her does not count.

If you rented a truck, you can use the credit card receipts as proof, plus the shipping and packing materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving expenses - Outside US [ 5 Answers ]

Query is in blue color below. The rest explains the scenario. April 02, 2006 - Moved from India to Baton Rouge, Louisiana -US ( L1 visa ) with the assignment expected to last for less than 1 year. Before leaving India, stored my belongings in a storage. I claimed unreimbursed employee expenses...

Moving expenses for NRA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in June 2007 on a J1 visa. Can I claim my flight ticket as moving expenses? If yes, which form do I use? Thanks a lot Sabine

Moving expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, I moved recently from outside USA by plane to start a new job. I also had some house good stored at one of my friends in a different state (for which I rented a car to bring back). I know I meet the time, place and other tests for applying for moving expenses. My question is can I claim the...

Moving Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 (Intra Company Transfer) on 2nd April 2006. I am in US since then. My company paid partial expenses for moving from India to US. Can I claim the rest of the amount as moving expenses ?

Moving expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a resident of the US for the entire year 2006 and moved out of the US on 16th Jan 2007. Can I claim moving expenses for the jan 07 move in the 2006 tax return? Thanks!

View more questions Search