Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csherlock317 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Outdoor lighting
    I just had new vinyl siding placed on my house. Where the outside lights had been, they placed vinyl master mounts. There were no junction boxes previously, so the wires just stick out of the small opening on the master mounts. Should I use 4" round pvc boxes before mounting my new lights? Unfortunately, there are no studs around the wire, so I am not sure how sturdy the round boxes will be once I attach them to the house. I purchased 1 1/2 boxes(depth) because that is the thickness of the master mounts. There are cutouts for 4 inch round boxes, and I assume that is what I should use.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:48 PM

Can you get to the back side where these will be mounted? There should be studs in the wall and you can mount a box on spanners between the studs.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Use either round or wall case type old work boxes for this problem. Old work boxes have wings that open larger than the box opening inside the wall to grip onto the inside surface of the wall material and squeeze until tight and support the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor motion dector lighting [ 1 Answers ]

After I changed a light bulb in my wall mounted outdoor motion dector light, it doesn't work. But it doesn't turn off or go on like it should, I even tried the test mode and the light just stays on, the unit is only about 1 yr old, it's a Hampton bay brand

Outdoor lowvoltage lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have some outdoor lighting that would stay on dusk to dawn. I also have a photocell controller that would keep a few of them on at a low setting but when some one would enter the walkway they would get brighter. It was made by Edison Lighting. It has stopped working and only stays on low. ...

Outdoor lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to run a string of four lights outside of my place of business to brighten the parking lot at night. I am using 12-2 UF-B with Ground Outdoor Electrical Wire, a 40 amp timer, and four lights (rated at 120 v and 60 watts each). I have everything ran, but when I flip the breaker...

Outdoor lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bays outdoor light with a dawn to dusk sensor, but it stays on all the time. I tried to buy a new sensor , but it's out of stock The light #240-336 is a coach lantern. Where canI get a sensor and how much do they cost?

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

View more questions Search