Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejgarcia111 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Floor Drain in Laundry Draining slow
    I have a floor drain in my laundry room that seems to either be draining slowing or not at all, I took the grate/cover off and there's a rubber ball inside of it, this seems to be not allowing the water to flow into the drain. What is this all about and how can I fix it myself? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ejgarcia111 View Post
    I have a floor drain in my laundry room that seems to either be draining slowing or not at all, I took the grate/cover off and there's a rubber ball inside of it, this seems to be not allowing the water to flow into the drain. What is this all about and how can I fix it myself? Thanks
    That rubber ball is probably a Flood Guard, (see image) put there to prevent the floor drain from backing up in your basement. Remove the ball and send a small 1/4 or 3/8ths inch snake down the drain for 10 feet. Don't forget to fill the trap with water bow and then to prevent sewer gas from escaping. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink draining into laundry sick. And than that drains really slow! [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink is draining into our laundry sink and the laundry sick will not drain or at least extremely slowly! Please help!

Vessel sink slow draining overflows to floor if water left on [ 1 Answers ]

VESSEL SINK - SLOW DRAINAGE PROBLEM: Two visitors to the house left the water on and flooded the small bathroom. QUESTION: HOW DO I INCREASE WATER FLOW DOWN THE DRAIN ? Afraid to leave the water on when I leave the house! Thanks very much !

Slow laundry drain backs up now that I do dishes in the sink [ 1 Answers ]

My laundry drains to a grey-water field and I've had no problems with it for several years. Doing a kitchen remodel now and need to wash my dishes in the laundry room sink. Now my washing machine (which shares a line with the sink) overflows every time. I have had it snaked, vented, throw enzymes...

Laundry drain not draining [ 2 Answers ]

All right well, I know nothing of plumbing, at all... but my father-in-law installed our washing machine drain, and it is not draining, at all... all right, well we live in a 70 yr old house, and I admit a LOT of gunk was built up in the copper pipe that is used to drain the sink and the washing...

Slow draining tub won't drain at all after plumber visit [ 1 Answers ]

Help! We have been in our home for 9 months (built in 1981). The tub in the master bath has always been a little slow to drain but nothing of a concern. We had a plumber out last week to look at a concern with our shower and in the process he asked about the slow draining tub. Since we are...

View more questions Search