Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Agitator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 12:04 AM
    Leasor rights
    I leased property to an individual three years ago, recently I had to terminate
    The lease for nonpayment.
    Lessee constructed a metal building and installed a cain link fence around this property.
    Question: Does lessee have right to remove building and fence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 03:29 AM

Hello A:

It depends on what your lease says. Most say things like the tenant is precluded from making any structural changes without permission from the landlord...

If they didn't get permission to build the structure, and it's considered a FIXTURE, it would be my view, that the tenant CAN'T remove them.

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 07:10 AM
    excon is right (as usual). If the lease does not specifically address the issue, then common law says that if a tenant adds a fixture to property (anything that is permanently affixed and can't be removed without some damage to the property) then the fixture becomes the landlord's property after termination of the lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2009, 07:38 AM

Just to add, if the tenant does remove the fixtures and, in doing so, damages the property, they are responsible for repairing those damages.

The chain link fence is definitely in the category of a fixture, the metal shed, especially if it is one of those lightweight aluminum ones, might not be. But if removing it leaves a dead spot where it sat, they are responsible for restoring the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Leasor breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has lived in the same apartment complex for two years and put down a deposit upon signing her lease. She recently decided to move into a different apartment within the same complex, same owners and signed a lease almost two months ago and put down an additional deposit. She overlapped...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Leasor want to break Lease with Lessee [ 3 Answers ]

In Oregon an a Leasor break a 2 -year lease at month 7 with out have to pay out the remaining 17 months ? I was told by a Real Estate Broker you can?

Rights as a leasor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5 year lease for a bar and grill. I've been misled several times by the leasee. Is there any way I can find out if she is going into foreclosure.

View more questions Search