Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheepopo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
    OPT-H1B, social security tax, medicare tax, undergrad (2001-2005), grad (2005-2007)
    Hello, Could someone please advice my situation:

I came to US under F1 visa to pursue undergrad from Fall 2001 - Spring 2005, then continue on grad school, under F1 again, from Fall 2005-Winter 2007.

I begin my first job under OPT from January 2008 - October 2008, and continue the same job until today under H1-B which came into effect on and after October 2008.

In my first job (which commence since Jan 2008), I have social security and medicare taxes taken out of my paychecks every two weeks.

My questions:

1) I understand one, as a non-resident, is eligible to claim back social security deductions taken from his/her paycheck while working under OPT.
    Considering my situation, am I eligible to claim back my ss deductions too?

2) Can one claim back the medicare deductions taken out while working as OPT?

3) Is there any way one can be exempted from paying social security or medicare taxes while working as H1-B? I hold a Malaysian passport.

4) Is it true that one can claim back the social security money after working for 10 years in the US? What are the eligibility requirements to claim back ------ must be of 65 yrs of age and also as a Green Card or US Passport holder?

Please advice. Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 08:34 PM

From 2006, you must file resident tax return. So for 2006 onwards your income is subject to FICA taxes.
    If you want refund of FICA taxes for 2005 return file Form 843 by April 15, 2009. For previous years you will not get any refund.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford F-350 Diesel 2005? / 2007 ? [ 9 Answers ]

I am about to buy a 2005 Ford f-350 diesel. Is there anyone that knows of problems with this year ford's diesel engine? Or should I buy a 2007 ford diesel ? Help! This is a big deal for me! Thanks mountainman...

Please Help I can't Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad:Please help I have been trying for 2 days to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, the Anti virus was showing as "Files corrupt" advised me to uninstall and reinstall, two days later after various attempts and reading on the Symantec website still none the wiser. Tried Add/Remove programs...

When should I apply for medicare and Social security taxes of 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert; I am working on opt and as a lot of people my employer withheld ss and medicare taxes. Recently they learned tax laws that and corrected this. My questions are, 1) When should I apply for 2007 Medicare and ss taxes. I know how to apply for 2006 and the required forms...

Norton interent security 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove norton internet security 2005. It wasn't put on my computer when it was set up for me. I have gone to add-remove program doesn't show anything. I have tried the norton removal tool, nothing. I'm using the AOL security in which as been running fine. All of a sudden norton pops on...

Social security and medicare withholding 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the social security and medicare withholding in 2007 for a single person/no dependents earing $1100 monthly.

View more questions Search