Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikki217 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Possible Roommate
    I am currently living in a 2br/2ba apartment that I will be moving out of at the end of July. Two of my friends (who live 4 hours away) are possibly moving to my town for college, and I am planning to live with either one or both of them. A girl I met about 6 months ago wants to move in with us so we can have a 4 bedroom apartment. She caught me off guard when she asked about it and I don't remember what I said, but I feel like it is not my place to decide to take in a 4th roommate, especially since the other 2 girls have never met her. After spending more time with her, I really don't think I can live with her! However, now the other two girls may not be moving here after all. I am perfectly fine with the idea of living by myself.

My question is: How do I tell this other girl I don't want to live with her? I think it would ruin the friendship, but I am afraid telling her would too. She is extremely sensitive and I know whatever I say will make her angry- I am just looking for the best option.

Please help!
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Mar 4, 2009, 07:04 PM

Be blunt about it, but don't be insensitive. Say something like, "Hey, I'm sorry, but I decided to live alone for a bit." Leave it at that. If she pursues it, tell her the benefits of you living alone. Responsibility, forming a routine, becoming stable, etc. They're all good reasons.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:23 PM

I've always found with delicate situations like this you a far better making the other person think its something wrong with you and not them.

Ie: You could tell her you have some issue's with (you pick whatever you think is appropriate) and you don't think it's fair for you to subject her to theses as your afraid to lose her friendship.

Just an option.
    arnimal7 Posts: 96, Reputation: 11

Mar 4, 2009, 07:28 PM

Hey Nikki I was in the same situation when I went to college to. First off it's good that you found this out now then later when it would be to late. Now my question to you is are these things that she can't change? Can you sit her down and tell her what's bothering you, so then maybe you can give her an opportunity to change? If she can't change then I would be honest, nice about it but honest. The last thing you want to do is hurt her feelings or loose your friendship. Ya know what I mean?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:29 PM

I'd definitely keep it short. The more excuses you make, the more transparent you'll be. Just tell her you've decided to stay solo. Beyond being honest, you don't owe her an explanation for your reasoning. Just tell her soon enough so that she can have time to make other arrangements.

Mar 4, 2009, 07:57 PM

Thank you all! I have been worrying over this for such a long time. It is good to hear advice from other people!

arnimal7: I don't really know if she could change the things that bother me. It is just kind of who she is, which is great in small doses, just not every day!

I've been having some problems with my current roommate, because she has lived here for 3 years and I kind of feel like a guest. I was thinking maybe telling her I don't want to go through it again? I'm not sure if that will be offensive or not- like I was accusing her of being the same way?
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Mar 4, 2009, 07:58 PM

Nah. Just tell her you want to live alone. Short, simple, sweet, and the truth. No excuses, remember!
    serenitylynn Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2009, 08:00 PM

You could tell her that you've tried the roommate thing and now you want to try the alone thing. Hopefully she will understand

Mar 4, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Well, I just sent her a text to tell her we needed to talk about it soon, and she wrote me back telling me she is probably going to live at home because of money issues. I guess my problem is solved- yay!

Thank you all so much!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki217 View Post
    Well, I just sent her a text to tell her we needed to talk about it soon, and she wrote me back telling me she is probably going to live at home because of money issues. I guess my problem is solved- yay!

Thank you all so much!
    Well great, sounds like it worked out for you. Just be honest with people and even if they're a little hurt at the time, they'll respect your for being upfront with them.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 09:01 PM

Glad it all worked out for you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Evict Roommate that broke Roommate Agreement Lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a month to month lease with my landlord for 6 years now, he says technically no lease though? I have a roommate that moved in 5 months ago that is being uncooperative and broke written rules in "our" roommate agreement contract. I am trying to get her to move out but she will not, talked...

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

View more questions Search