Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    getter done Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 10:30 PM
    How to repair a closet flange that is in concrete
    What is the best way yo remove and replace a closet flange that is in the basement and the pipe is buried in concrete? The piping and flange are PVC. Also how high should the flange be in relation to the finished ceramic floor?
    Thank you for any suggestions:
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 01:02 AM

I quess the obvious question is: Why do you want to remove it? Is it damaged ?

The flange is glued to the pipe. You have to cut it out, from inside out. Then, you can purchase new flange that will fit and glue inside the pipe. As far as height goes: It should really sit on solid surface: on concrete floor or on top of the tile so you can properly attach it to the floor. . Toilet base should absorb the 3/8" thickness of the flange.

However, if you don't have to replace it - don't.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 08:20 AM

Milo has the replacement covered but let me comment on the tile part. Your flange top surface has a bit of woggle room in heighth. The top can be flush with the top surface of the floor or it could be higher with the flange bottom surface flush with the floor. Either position will give you good wax ring contact.
    getter done Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 12:09 AM
    Thanks for your help. Job is done. I had to buy a mini hacksaw but other wise the repair was simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closet flange repair [ 11 Answers ]

Hello During a resent toilet replacement I had to go with a twist n set cast iron replacement Oatey flange due to the old flange on a 4" case iron pipe breaking. it brought by 4" line down to 3"At the best of times my the toilet flushes like on a airplane but the odd time my flushing action is...

How can I extend a closet flange that's in concrete? [ 6 Answers ]

I've got to raise a bathroom floor about 12" to allow for some drain lines. The original floor is concrete and I'm not moving the toilet's location. Is there a way to attach to the existing closet flange and extend the pipe up to the new floor level without jack-hammering around the flange, cutting...

Attaching A Closet Flange to Concrete? [ 9 Answers ]

What I have is a bathroom I'm trying to remodel, I have removed the toilet in my 1976 home and found that I have a Cast iron 4" pipe and a cast iron Closet flange thats Shot, and I might add is not attached to anything at all. Also found that the original toilet had a piece of 1/2" treated Plywood...

Repair/replace pvc closet flange [ 4 Answers ]

The toilet in the attached apartment needed a new wax ring because of leakage.After the toilet was removed I found a broken pvc closet flange.It was broken where the flange bolt slides in it's slot.It looks like someone glued a 4" closet flange on a stub of 3" pvc that is 3.5" long.The other end of...

Closet flange repair [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I sure could use your opinion. I have tiled the bathroom floor and the closet flange is broken on both sides. The flange repair tabs will not go under the broken flange. I was thinking of screwing the repair flanges over the top of the broken one and into the concrete. Then use an extended...

View more questions Search