Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    audrey19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Confused about Ex-Boyfriend!
    My ex boyfriend and I broke up 3 years ago and have had on and off contact since then. We broke up because he wanted to get married and I was too young and uncomfortable with the idea. We had a great relationship and I never understood why we broke up over that but nonetheless we didn't get back together because I felt he couldn't be with me unless I was going to marry him and I wasn't ready for that. I felt confused/angry that if he loved me enough to marry me why he wouldn't wait until I was ready, but I never communicated to him how the situation made me feel.

Last year we had a discussion about being friends and he said he couldn't be my friend unless he knew it was that and something more. I felt so sad that he didn't even want to be friends/or want me in his life without the ultimatum of marriage, so I deleted him from my Facebook because I wanted to move on. I reread his last letter to me and I realized I misunderstood what he was saying. He said in the letter that we should still be together even if I wasn't ready for marriage, but at the time I read it wrong and thought he meant he needed commitment from me because the wording was confusing. I contacted him a few days ago to re-add him as a friend on Facebook and wrote him a short message. He wrote back immeadiately and then told me he would be on later that night. I felt like he was showing off and talking about himself to try and impress me and he also remembered little things from our phone conversations three years ago. I had the feeling that he was still in love with me but at the same time there was a feeling of anger/resentment as well. I feel the same way... I love him, but I also have bad feelings and confusion about what happened between us and why in the world we ever broke up! It was such a ridiculous decision but neither of us said how we really felt at the time and I guess I felt pressured.

Here is the thing... we have been talking on Facebook for about three days and he would write to me every time I was online. We had great conversations and it almost felt like it did when we were dating. He even notified me once when he would be on later but then he didn't show up until an hour after he said he would. The last time we talked and he asked if I remembered our song, and when I said it he wrote "lol" And when I said it was a pretty song he said it sucks and its overplayed (I think that's anger, I'm sure he doesn't really mean that). So after that last conversation I told him I had to go and I would talk to him later and wrote 'hopefully' And I asked him what that means and he said 'hopefully in case nothing happens to either of us' and I just said goodnight. Ever since then he is not talking to me. Its only been two days but every time I'm online he won't say anything to me. I told myself I wasn't going to talk to him unless he talks to me first, but I finally gave in and wrote 'hey' and he went offline. I don't get what's going on. Everything was fine and he was excited to talk to me before that but now he's just ignoring me. He seemed like he still had feelings and when he wrote to me a year ago he said he could never find another girl like me and that I was perfect and beautiful and it bothered him that every relationship he had was nowhere near the one we shared. I feel the same way. What is going on and why is he suddenly ignoring me? I'm planning to not write to him for a week or maybe even not go on Facebook at all and if there is no response then I will write a letter explaining how I feel. Please let me know what you guys think why he is ignoring me all the sudden?
    Thanks,
    ~Audrey
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by audrey19 View Post
    My ex boyfriend and I broke up 3 years ago

For god's sake your broken up 3 YEARS??????

I felt confused/angry that if he loved me enough to marry me why he wouldn't wait until I was ready, but I never communicated to him how the situation made me feel.
    Well you lost communication, that will help!

Last year we had a discussion about being friends and he said he couldn't be my friend unless he knew it was that and something more.
    Look around, NC works. He had been rejected, why would he want to be your friend??

I felt so sad that he didn't even want to be friends/or want me in his life without the ultimatum of marriage,
    He never made an ultimatum about friendship, he made it about your relationship, and you chose, he has the right to choose what he does after this

I reread his last letter to me and I realized I misunderstood what he was saying. He said in the letter that we should still be together even if I wasn't ready for marriage, but at the time I read it wrong and thought he meant he needed commitment from me because the wording was confusing.
    Look at that?! Not really an a**hole after all!

I contacted him a few days ago to re-add him as a friend on facebook and wrote him a short message.
    And why, pray tell, did you feel the need to do that? Open old wounds maybe??

Please let me know what you guys think why he is ignoring me all the sudden??
    I dunno, I really can't think of a thing. Maybe he's sick of the mixed signals. You won't marry him, but you'll be his friend. You won't talk to him for ages, then out of the blue, add him and start flirting with him...hmmm, gimme a while to think..

Sorry if this seems facetious but really take your head out of your a** and look at it from his point of view, he was probably heart broken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is confused about his feelings for me [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy on and off for almost 4 years now. We were high school sweethearts and started going to college together. Well there have been times where the both of us would go through a faze and break-up, not sure of our feelings for each other.When we were a little bit younger,...

What should I do with my ex-boyfriend, I'm confused! [ 12 Answers ]

After reading through so many pages, I just hope someone can help me analyze my situation... We have dated for 2.5 years... He wasn't a romantic guy... And he told me he needs a smart women that can help him take care of his miscellaneous stuff so that he can focus on his career... So I was the...

Confused about my ex boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend broke up last week and he said he still really wanted to be my friend, I even thought very upset, accepted this. The next day I rang him to arrange getting and giving our things back to each other, he told me he'd ring the next day as he was at work at the time. However, it has...

Confused about boyfriend. [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My boyfriend and I spent a great night together a couple of nights ago, we see each other often even though he is stationed about an hour away. We have been dating a couple of months since he's been back from Iraq, but we met right before he got deployed about a year ago...

Confused by Boyfriend! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My boyfriend and I live together and my parents live out of state. Well they came down to visit and they are staying at our place for a couple of weeks. The other day we both came home for lunch and my mom was home also. Well he was outside the house and was yelling my name and...

View more questions Search