Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Razzlbdazzl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Hours cut siting lack of business, then they hire their niece.
    I've had a good working relationship with my boss for two years now. Neither of us is perfect but we're honest. I thought. Two weeks ago I was informed that my hours would be cut because the business wasn't doing well (we're a floral shop and this was the week before Valentines). I acknowledged that times are hard and adjustments must be made, however, I did not expect to lose half of my scheduled hours.

In that same conversation a personal conflict with the owner/boss' sister in law (who has worked as an equal with me for a year now, and is a known manipulator) was cited, I explained what I knew of the "conflict" and the Owner stated that "I think she just wants your hours" & "she got me all worked up over something that wasn't a big deal". This isn't the first time that individual has stirred up trouble, and it isn't just me she goes after, we all take a turn. So I walked away concerned but confident that things would be okay.

We all worked through the holiday (which wasn't as busy as usual) and they brought in their niece (who has just moved in with them because she couldn't find a job in her hometown), also she pulled in one of the drivers to work as a designer "just for the holiday". So I've helped train both these people now.

After the holiday the schedule is posted (one copy to share in pencil *usually we each get a printed copy* and yes it did change after it had been posted) and instead of 20+ hours a week I now have 8 with a question mark... but the driver gets 6+ as a florist each week and the niece is getting 10+ hours (she works whenever the owner is there). I don't think this is fair. I understand them wanting to support their family, but I haven't done anything wrong, they have no REAL complaints or mistakes to write me up or reprimand me for. I don't put limitations on my time, I work whatever shift I'm given, and I bring 15 years of experience to the table.

I feel that they're pressuring me to leave by cutting my hours. What are my rights?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 06:09 PM

They can do whatever they wish, up to and including laying you off or firing you. I'm sorry to say but it sounds like your job is being taken over by this relative. I'd start saving my money if I were you. Just the fact that the business is slow should give you an indication that the boss is tightening his belt and using the driver as a florist as well. You are an employee subject to whatever the boss decides. Sorry.
    Razzlbdazzl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 06:26 PM

Not what I wanted to hear, but about what I expected. I've been watching them make questionable business decisions for two years now. The money's already saved... just wanted an neutral opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working hours vs lunch hours [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am presently working. I love my job so it's not an issue to me if everyday, I come in to work earlier than I should be and going home later than I should, eversince I was employed in this company. Today, our HR had sent me an email with our CEO copied on reminding me that my lunch hour is...

Happy Hours at work and co-workers lack of inhibitions [ 2 Answers ]

What's the best way from an HR perspective for an employee to deal with the following situation: I am a female working at a software firm. On Friday afternoons, my employer throws a happy hour on another floor in my building. They have munchies, wine and beer, people can mingle, eat, drink, and...

Niece is ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a relationship with my niece we have been close for about 4 yrs or more , since I met my boyfriend and I have plans with him she gets so mad she sends me hateful ,mean text messages that are so upsetting I get depressed for a week or two at a time. She says that I don't care and she...

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

Siting a washing machine [ 4 Answers ]

We are thinking of moving our washing machine into a large cupboard in our house. The cupboard has a raised floor with pipes going underneath - how can we tell if it is sturdy enough to take a washing machine. The cupboard also has a gas combi boiler up high in it. Will this cause any concerns?...

View more questions Search