Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmoore2156 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 05:15 PM
    1992 Honda accord rain water leak on floor
    Thank you all so much for helping with the last problem. Here is a new one for you.
    When it rains out, the car leaks water on the drivers and passenger side floor mats. You can see where the moisture collects on the firewall. I have not tried the water hose check on it yet. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen. I fear it is a joint behind the corner panels. Door seals look good. It's not anitfreeze, and I don't use the air conditioner.
    Thanks
    Brad
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 05:46 AM

I HATE chasing water leaks!
    But I'll help you if I can...

The water could be coming in through the windshield seal but if it was, you would probably hear a wind leak while driving.

It could also be coming through anywhere a harness or cable passes through from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment.

Do you park your car under a tree much?
    If you do, debris can build up in the cowl (between the bottom of the windshield and the rear edge of the hood). Eventually, that could restrict the drains and cause the rain water to flood through the HVAC case and onto your floorboards.
    Do the water test. Start slow and start low. The best way is to completely remove the carpet if it's really wet, but that's a royal pain... Have an assistant with a good light watch from inside while you apply a gentle flow around suspect area.

For some Northern regions, rust can also be an issue. Good luck and let us know.
    bmoore2156 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 08:17 AM

Yes, there is debris in the cowl. I was planning on cleaning that out next. If it was a wiring harness, I would suspect it would only be on one floor board. Never know here in Oregon, I think water runs uphill sometimes.
    I think I will work on it today and see if it is something easy. Thanks for your reply!
    Brad
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Apr 28, 2010, 03:50 PM

I have a 2002 Honda Accord with the same or similar problem--it only leaks on the driver's side floor. Door and window seals are fine. It seems to seep and gets worse if driven in the rain as opposed to merely sitting while it's pouring outside. It seems to seep in on the left side but not higher that floor level. The body is in great shape with no obvious holes so where exactly should I look for the leak?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Accord LX - Losing Coolant, but Can't Find Leak! [ 3 Answers ]

Again I have a problem with my Honda Accord. In spring 2009 I plan to replace this car, but I have to keep it running until then. For a couple of months now, this car has been losing coolant. However, we have not been able to locate a leak. I have not found any coolant or water in the oil, nor the...

I have a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans in it. Would it be possibly.

1998 Honda Accord won't start after rain! [ 2 Answers ]

I've found lots of answers for Hondas that won't start in the heat, or in the cold. Mine will start in blazing hot sun, or bitterly cold winter... but not when it rains. Engine turns over but won't catch. All electrical is fine, and the battery is new anyway. Every time I take it to the dealer...

94 Honda Accord won't start in rain. [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 94 Honda Accord LX that won't start in the rain. The problem first started about a month ago when my daughter was at the beach on some wet and foggy days. In the morning the car won't start, it cranks fine just won't start. You can smell gas so we assumed it was flooded. There was a...

1992 Honda Accord LX 5MT Coupe Clutch Hose Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys! First time poster, I've been lurking for awhile. I love the advice txgreasemonkey gives to us! Here's my question for help! Please refer to this parts list: https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SM20.006.10.gif I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX 5MT Coupe with 231,000...

View more questions Search