Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Senior Citizen Sex Lives
    The first week of March, I'm going to move to a senior assisted living center to get the care I need to help me have a good quality of life. I'm thinking, I have read about how these centers can be hotbeds of senior sexuality. :)

I wonder what I have to look forward to... a boyfriend?

Does anyone have any relatives with experience in this kind of situation?

Mary Sue
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    The first week of March, I'm going to move to a senior assisted living center to get the care I need to help me have a good quality of life. I'm thinking, I have read about how these centers can be hotbeds of senior sexuality. :)

I wonder what I have to look forward to....a boyfriend?

Does anyone have any relatives with experience in this kind of situation?

Mary Sue
    Good for you! Are you staying in town? What about Nick? The literature is rife with stories of romances, etc.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:29 PM

Glad for you Choux.
    bronzebabe Posts: 333, Reputation: 62

Feb 21, 2009, 08:38 AM

My Nana is 95 years old, and lives in one... she has had Several boyfriends, she also enjoys the activities that they have going on in hers... just because you live in a senior center, doesn't mean you stop living! enjoy!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 09:31 AM

Good for you, Choux!

Just remember, though: Senior citizens are the fastest growing group of STDs, mainly because many of them don't think they need to worry about it.

If you DO get yourself a boyfriend (or several!) just be sure to use protection to make sure YOU are safe.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 01:44 PM

The place is very nice, but it is not near where I live now. New town, new excitement. :)

I get to take Nick with me; he can stay in my room with me as long as I take care of the kitty litter. *Nick* and I are going to "the home"; after all he is 15 human years old... we will be off to the old folks home together. How fabulous is that? :D My unit will be as large as my studio apartment now; plenty of space.

Thanks for your kind remarks... one of my helpers said her grandmother has a boyfriend in her senior residence... she giggles like a teenager when she talks about him.

Synn, I'm not planning on having intercourse ever again, but hand holding, hugging and kissing, whatever would be fine with me. I will certainly keep your advice in mind just in case!

So, big transition period ahead in two weeks.

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Mary Sue
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 01:58 PM

Choux I'm so happy for you, that's wonderful, I can hear the exitement in your post, I wish you all the best.

Let us know how it goes, have fun, meet new people, kick up your heels and enjoy. I'm so very happy for you. :)
    bronzebabe Posts: 333, Reputation: 62

Feb 21, 2009, 02:08 PM

i'm sure you will Love it~!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:13 PM

I can hardly wait to go. They are coming to my apartment with a special vehicle and a couple of muscular guys, and taking the stuff I want, and leaving the rest of the stuff behind! Including an old love seat and old sofa. They are dumpster bound.

I have lots of planning to do so unpacking will be a breeze.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 02:22 PM

Will Nick stay in your apartment, or will he want to go exploring at the new place?
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:46 PM

He will stay in my apartment... I don't really know if any of the resident's cats are allowed in the halls. Probably not, danger of catfights over territory.

WG, they have a book club, weekly I think. There are lots of other fun activities. I'm going to try to take all my books and donate them to the facility library, except the ones I want to keep in my room. I'm taking my four ikea bookcases for my room and my favorite books and knick knacks.

I'm taking my tables and lamps, too. They will provide a hospital bed and a chest of drawers and a couple of chairs for visitors.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    He will stay in my apartment... I don't really know if any of the resident's cats are allowed in the halls. Probably not, danger of catfights over territory.
    I know how curious cats are, but I also know he knows you mean business when you talk to him. He will find a cozy place and take a lot of naps, methinks.

WG, they have a book club, weekly I think. There are lots of other fun activities. I'm going to try to take all my books and donate them to the facility library, except the ones I want to keep in my room. I'm taking my four ikea bookcases for my room and my favorite books and knick knacks.
    There might also be homebound delivery, so check on that. There is a monthly newpaper thing called Book Pages that goes to libraries and tells about new and upcoming titles. Ask for a copy from the library in that suburb. Is Doris still in your life?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 03:17 PM

I just thought of something! Bridge! You might find people who enjoy playing! And just getting out and socializing will be so much fun!
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Feb 21, 2009, 06:56 PM

I'm so happy for you Choux! It sounds like a new and exciting time in your life. I hope you and Nick enjoy yourselves there! Retiring together is just fantastic for you two! Lol. My cat is 14 and I can't imagine life without her. And just because you don't plan on having sex ever again doesn't mean you should count it out. You never know what might happen ;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:13 PM

I think there is a library in the senior citizen's facility... where they have the book club meetings, perhaps. Maybe, I can be the ex-officio librarian. I'll look into that. :)

Doris is my good friend still. She is going to come and visit me on occasion. She's busy with aerobics and church... plus, local reorganization of her job site has her messed up. They took away her regular days off and regular shift. That's really like torture, in my opinion. Fortunately, she is very strong minded.

Thanks, Holly, for your good words. As I said, I'm really looking forward to the move. I'll be able to go places whenever I want thanks to wheelchair friendly environment and a van with a wheelchair lift. :D

I'll have lots of options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax for senior citizen [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am a resident Indian senior citizen. I am retired from the government service and getting pension. I wanted to know my tax liability for the year with following earnings: -Income from Pension= 96000/- per year -Income from Short term capital gain (selling shares)-150000/- i.e....

A Senior Citizen [ 3 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen... - I'm the life of the party... even when it lasts 'till 8pm. - I'm very good at opening childproof caps with a hammer. - I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I'm going. - I'm good on a trip for at least an hour without my aspirin,...

Senior Citizen Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

My 73 year old mother has some credit card debts she has tried to pay off but cant. All she gets is social security and it isn't enough to pay them and her other bills. She owns her home but recently bought a home (with a mortgage) for my brother (he makes the payments but its in her name). Can...

Senior citizen debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, The sheriff delivered something from a law firm to my 75 year old mother. They are trying to get a judgement against her for a debt she owes but can't afford to pay. She has a bank account where her social security and my deceased fathers military and small work pensions, can they take...

View more questions Search