Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seneca Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Senior citizen debt
    Hi,

The sheriff delivered something from a law firm to my 75 year old mother. They are trying to get a judgement against her for a debt she owes but can't afford to pay. She has a bank account where her social security and my deceased fathers military and small work pensions, can they take any of that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 07:36 PM
    This is a yes and no, they normally can not get a social secuirty retirement, at times they can get a private retirement ( depends on the state I beleive)

Also while they can't take this money, they can freeze the bank account and make you prove that the money in it is from those checks. So they can freeze the money till you prove it is not just extra money.

Also depending on where she lives, they may get a lien on her home if she owns it, they can't make her sell, but it will have to be paid off before the deed can be transferred or sold.

Also you did not mention what type of debt. You need to look into it and find out who the debt is to and what it is for. There are many criminal companies that prey on the elderly.
    lindeelouky Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Does she own her house? There could be equity or reverse mortgage available. If she rents and is in deep debt, it's not too late to file bankruptcy and get protection from the courts, but you'd have to see a lawyer, try legal aid, right away to protect her from creditors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letter to Senior Citizen [ 8 Answers ]

I work as a customer service coordinater. A senior citizen wrote a letter to the president that he wants me to address. This is what the letter reads... Dear Sir/Madam, Please be advised that the fees to cash a payroll check are too high. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. Please consider...

Senior Citizen obtaining a mortgage [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I are retired and moving to the states in several months. Being over 60 can we obtain a mortgage at our age? We can pay cash for a property but we would prefer to obtain a mortgage. We don't have credit in the states. We would like to use our cash for other investments. Any help or...

Bankruptcy senior citizen Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

My Fateher died in July and my Mother got sudden onset dementia. She owes thousands in medical and credit card debt. Can she file for banckruptcy in Michigan and keep her home?

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

View more questions Search