Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarleneC21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:13 AM
    Dog scratching a lot
    We just drove from Ohio to Indiana on Sat, 2/14 to a breeder and bought a female bichon puppy, 13 weeks old. She was a little scruffy looking, but the breeder said that she had clipped her recently. The breeder gave her a bath before we left. Now, she is often scratching herself. We took her to a vet yesterday and the vet couldn't find anything but some tiny scabs. She thought that the new harness may be causing irritation. So we took it off. She is still scratching which must be very uncomfortable. What would you suggest. I bought some anti itch shampoo with oatmeal, but I hesitate to bathe her again so soon after her Saturday bath.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

Have you called the breeder? Did the scabs look like they had formed before you got her? You were right in having the vet look at her, but it's very curious that they didn't give you any possible explanations. It really could be any number of things, including something as simple as shampoo that was too strong and irritated her skin or perhaps wasn't washed off completely. It could be an allergy to something in her food or to something you use in the house. Carpet cleaner and carpet powders are some of the worst culprits of all. I suppose fleas have been ruled out. Are you sure your vet didn't give you any recommendations, precautions and/or advice?
    DarleneC21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
    I contacted the breeder and she had no idea. She suggested that I return the dog for another one, in case I accidentally got a puppy with allergies. I have no intention of doing that "Darcy" is already a family member. The scabs were minuscule and the vet thought it might be the new harness collar. The breeder bathed her with some shampoo when we picked her up and mentioned that she had been bathed a few days ago. Hopefully that is the problem. I tried some conditioner this morning. She is eating the same food that the breeder gave me although she stole some soft food (Benecol puppy) from my daughter's dog. She is eating eucanuba puppy dry food... although she is not eating much... so I doubt that is it food allergy. Thank you for your thoughts.
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
    I have a Yorkie mix that I bought home at 7 weeks old from a local breeder. I has also been itching off and on since I got him. The breeder also just gave it a bath before I picked him up and when I asked why the dog was itching, he told me its probably the new collar on the puppy. We removed the collar, it helped a little, but he is still itching every now and then. I am ruling out fleas because he is so young and has even left the house yet. I'm suspecting an allergy but I am feeding my pup, Pedigree puppy food because that's what the breeder was feeding him. However, the breeder was feeding him wet while I'm feeding him dry. I have a vet's appointment tomorrow and will post my outcome.
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2009, 10:33 PM
    By the way, kudos to you for keeping your pup. I 'm sure your breeder meant well, but once these little ones enter our lives, they do become family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Cat Keeps Scratching At Doors? [ 11 Answers ]

My kitten that turned 1 years old on Dec 22 keeps scratching at doors, especially mine at night. (I have 2) I don't mind them sleeping in my room its just when they do finish sleeping before I wake up they play with the wires, scratch at my headboard, play with papers, jump on things, knock things...

Too much scratching! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has a tendency to scratch things, and I don't mind it... when it's on his "condo". I leave my shoes in my closet generally and he seems very fond of scratching my old navy flip flops, and only those shoes. I have many types of flip flops, but he only goes after those ones. Yes they were...

Cat scratching [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 year old cat was given revolution 2 days ago. She really didn't have fleas, however I wanted to prevent them, and she had it for heartworm and worms. Today she has been running around silly like something is biting her legs. She tries to hide from it but obviously it follow. Could this crazy...

Why would cat be scratching or biting? [ 1 Answers ]

As I posted a few weeks ago, I took in a stray cat. She has 6 little kittens who are all doing very well. They are all living inside now and seem very cosy. We still have a few weeks before we can take them to the shelter. The mother cat has always been affectionate and gentle. But this past...

View more questions Search