Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Preguntona Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Resident or not? First time homebuyer credit
    Hello,
    I have two questions for the tax expert...
    First question: I hold an H1-B visa since October 2007 ( I am in the process of getting my green card)and I stayed for most of 2008 in the U.S. Thus, I am pretty sure that I meet the presence test and I can file as an U.S. resident. However, I am single and I rent so when I compare the 1040 and the 1040NR forms, I see that it is better for me to file the 1040NR because I have around $3,800 in itemized deductions and a personal exemption of $3,500 for a total of $7,300 versus an standard deduction of $5,450 if I use the 1040 form. My question is... Can I choose to file the 1040NR? Or I must file 1040?
    Second question: I read publication 5450 about the first time homebuyer credit... The rules say clearly that if you are a nonresident alien, you cannot claim it. My question is... I hold an H1B visa and I am in the process of getting a green card. If I file 1040 for tax purposes, do I have the right to claim this credit if I decide to buy a house by May this year? THANKSSS!!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 12:29 AM

For 2008, you must file resident tax return. You will get recovery rebate and first time homebuyer credit if you meet the requirements.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: First-Time Homebuyer Credit
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2009, 01:10 PM

Actually if you stayed for "most" of 2008, you might actually be a dual status alien. We can't ascertain that without more information.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 07:33 AM

Since you started H1-B in 2007, you will file resident return in 2008.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 09:56 AM
    No, TTE has it right; we need a specific timeline for how long he was in the U.S. to determine if filing as a dual-status alien is the correct way to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time homebuyer credit [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with my fiancé in may 2008 it is my first home he was in the process of selling his condo at the time we got married in Nov 2009 - both of our names are on the house ( my maiden name since we were not married at the time of purchase) Can I still get the $3750...

1st Time Homebuyer Credit [ 7 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a home and expect to close sometime in March. Can we file our 2008 taxes now and then file an amended return after closing to claim our 2008 First Time Homebuyer's credit?

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Non resident or part time resident of Mass. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in Massachusetts from 23 August till 31 December 2006, as a F1 student , so am I a non resident or a part time resident or both. Please answer me if you have any idea. Thanks

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search