Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 06:52 AM
    1st Time Homebuyer Credit
    We are in the process of buying a home and expect to close sometime in March. Can we file our 2008 taxes now and then file an amended return after closing to claim our 2008 First Time Homebuyer's credit?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 09:15 AM

You can certainly file now and amend later. However, if you're buying the house in March 2009 (that's when the closing is) wouldn't the credit apply to your 2009 tax return, not 2008?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You can certainly file now and amend later. However, if you're buying the house in March 2009 (that's when teh closing is) wouldn't the credit apply to your 2009 tax return, not 2008?
    According to the IRS its any home bought between (I think) Apr 08 and July 1 2009. I went through the checklist and qualified for the credit based on our estimated closing date. I was just wondering if I have to wait to file my return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 01:05 PM

This is an interesting one - even though you didn't purchase the house in 2008 you are indeed allowed to take the credit on your 2008 taxes, as long as it's purchased between April 8, 2008 and July 1, 2009. The form to use is here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5405.pdf

You will have to wait until you have actually purchased the home before you can take the credit - you should not file the form now using an estmated closing date. As I said previously - you can file now without taking this credit and then file an amended return later, but personally I wouldn't want to be hassled by the extra paperwork. Why not just wait until March to file?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    This is an interesting one - even though you didn't purchase the house in 2008 you are indeed allowed to take the credit on your 2008 taxes, as long as it's purchased between April 8, 2008 and July 1, 2009. The form to use is here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5405.pdf

You will have to wait until you have actually purchased the home before you can take the credit - you should not file the form now using an estmated closing date. As I said previously - you can file now without taking this credit and then file an amended return later, but personally I wouldn't want to be hassled by the extra paperwork. Why not just wait until March to file?
    Because I am getting a huge return and it will help offset the closing costs and cost of moving. Ive got the money already, but without the tax return my savings are dipping into the realm of "rather have more just in case"

I don't care about extra paperwork. Its worth the peace of mind to have backup funds at the 3 month level recommended.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Then file now to get the immediate refund, then amend after you close.

Most tax professionals could handle the amendment with no problem, though I suspect they would ask you to wait until AFTER 15 April 2009 before they would do the amendment.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Then file now to get the immediate refund, then amend after you close.

Most tax professionals could handle the amendment with no problem, though I suspect they would ask you to wait until AFTER 15 April 2009 before they would do the amendment.
    Is this something I could do with turbotax? I like being able to do as much as possible on my own.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Sure. Every state-of-the-art tax software has Form 1040X on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit for time served on a detainer for VOP [ 4 Answers ]

I need help please, I have been looking and looking on the internet for days now and cannot find what I need. My fiancé was in prison for 10 years for fighting in the State of Florida, He was released on 12/13/08 from FL. The State of Tennessee which is where we live has two detainers on him for...

First time credit card user [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to get my first credit card from capital one with my credit limit being $ 500. I have 0% APR until may 2009 and after that it will be 19.8% APR. I wanted to know what will be the best way to pay my bill on time since I have a job that doesn't pay that much but I get paid every week. I was...

Trying to build my credit for the first time [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to build up my credit and I need help! I am 22 years old. I don't have anyone to co-sign for me on any type of loan. I have never had a loan, signed a lease, etc. I pay my friend rent and her name is on the lease because I don't have credit. I have never had a credit card or...

My wife's credit card from along time ago [ 10 Answers ]

I recently put my wife on a new checking account I've opened. Upon reviewing my account I noticed a withdrawal transaction to the tune of $2600.00 . The transaction description was SUBPEONA. When I went to the bank I was informed of a judgement. After contacting the attorney resonsible for the...

First time credit card user [ 19 Answers ]

For first time credit card user Is 11.99% is reasonable rate? With mastercard no annual fee. Earning world points What do you think about the 95 cents per $100 protection fee? What would you suggest? Thanks.:)

View more questions Search