Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elefish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Relocating and upgrading my 200 amp service to 400 amp service
    Im getting ready to upgrade and relocate my 200 amp service to a 400 amp service about 10 feet away away from original location. A new 400 amp meter base will be back to back with 2 new 200 amp panels. My question is, can I take out the guts out of my 200 amp panel and use it as a junction box to splice and continue my branch ckts to the new panels location? There are about 20 ckts and I'd hate to put up a junction box for each ckt. What is the minimum legal requirements?

Im using 4/0-2/0-4/0 aluminum double tapping off the meter base to each panel and using a #4 GEC.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Well you wouldn't need a box for each circuit. You'd be able to put 3 or 4 circuits in a decent sized splice box.
    Where do most of the circuits come from? Can you pull any of them back to the new panel location?

You can use the panel as a splice box, but IMO this is a cheesy way to go. You'd also have to screw the cover shut

Feb 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
    None will be able to pull back to new location, good thought; I am going to plan on using about 6 to 8 conn boxes to splice the connections. Do you see any problems using the 4/0-2/0-4/0 with a #4 GEC and double tapping off the meter base, which will be located directly behing the panels outside, to get to each 200 amp panel?

I see some talk about a 320amp meter base/service but is called a 400 amp service; what's the reason for this, why not just a get a true 400 amp service?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
    You can ONLY double tap off the meter if the load side lugs allow it, such as double hole lugs. This is very common.

A residential 400A service is 320A continuous, and 400A max. It uses a standard plug in meter instead of CT's (current transformers) that a true 400A commercial service would.

Feb 16, 2009, 07:54 AM

Thanks Stan all help is greatly appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading to 200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upgrade from 150 to 200 Amp service. My current panel has double breakers in ever slot except where the A/C, Dryer and Range are connected. I have wired panels before but never upgraded the service. I have studied and planned the change over the last two months but I still have a question...

Upgrading from 100amp service to 200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 model double wide home, and would like to change my 100 amp service to 200 amp service. ( I want to go to electric heat) I have a disconnect at the house after the meter and it say 200amp. Is the wiring from there to my breaker box able to handle 200 amp service, and if not how do I...

Relocating Service Panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am changing my electrical service from overhead to underground. At the same time I am relocating it and replacing the existing rusted service panel with a new meter base, service panel (MBSP) combination. I have a couple questions: The new location is further from the home's main panel. Can I...

Upgrading/Relocating my service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm upgrading my service panel mainly because I need more breaker space, but will eventually need more juice. I'm an electrical engineer, but not a electrician, so I am fully aware of the principals, just not the code and best practices like electricians are, though I have been studying the code...

View more questions Search