Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gstyles6119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Basement Leak
    Hello,

Can anyone help me figure out why my basement window leaks during a heavy rain?
    Once the window well fills to a certain level, the water begins to leak in around the window.

I need to fix.

Greg
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Feb 11, 2009, 08:59 PM

Do you have any pictures of the window? Because generally speaking the purpose of a window well is to keep water from pooling around the bottom of the window.

One thing I know a lot of people do that seems to work is digging the window well about a foot deeper than the base of the window and adding about 8" of pea gravel or another crushed stone. This will allow the water to drain into the soil more gradually and hopefully prevent the pooling up around the window.

If you get a chance put on some photos and maybe I can help you more.

Thanks,

Aaron
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 09:05 PM

It's probably a drainage issue, gutter issue or neighbor issue.

Windows are not water tight doors on submarines.

Yep, I have the same problem too. Neighbor relandscaped. Recouse is take him to court, do some sophisticated drainage acrobatics or put a sump pump in the well.

Well, a temporary solution seems to be permanent. An automatic bilge pump attached to a garden hose whose power supply is turned on when needed.

Take some pics when it's raining.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 09:51 PM

I wouls tart by buying a clear plastic window well cover. Then I would observe to see if the well still fills during a rain, this would indicate ground saturation. Can you get back to us and tell us what you see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have few cracks in my basement that leak water when it rains, what is the best way to solve this problem?

Gas leak in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a quick question. I recently installed a tankless water heater. The company that installed it is called rinnai. Soon after the workers left, I started a strange smell in the basement. I ignored it at first thinking it was a normal part of the construction of our new water heater. A...

Leak in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Their was discoloration and dampness on my basement wall corner. After applying drylok fastplug onto the cinder block wall the wall is dry but I am getting water seepage where the wall meets the floor. I have drilled a couple of holes in the cinder block to see if there is water in the hollows of...

Basement leak- [ 4 Answers ]

During the construction of our home, the builder roughed in a basement bathroom. In one corner is where the bathroom roughed in- a square hole in the concrete floor covered by a black flexible cover. About 5 feet away, in the opposite corner of the basement, is a round hole about the diameter...

View more questions Search