Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark but not Heartless Posts: 78, Reputation: -1

Feb 10, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Computer changed its network settings by itself?
    Before I ask my question, I would like to make the point that I'm not entirely certain that my regular means of internet access are, in the simplest terms, "legal". Under normal circumstances, I would usually connect to a wireless network called "linksys" which I understand is a wireless router company. The only problem with that setup is that the router I own (or rather, my mother owns) is on the first floor of our house, and while I normally use my laptop on the third floor, I don't receive signal from our router. Instead, I believe I've been catching signal from a neighbor or something (Though I don't know how this would work either, seeing as our router is still closer, and I don't have an external antenna).

That's how it usually works for me. However, this week, I lost the signal for some reason, and not only the signal, but also, when I attempt to diagnose the connection problem, I'm told that the settings saved on my copmputer do not match the requirements of the network. And I know I never changed my settings, nor do I even know how. Since the network in question comes from an unknown source, I can't fiddle with the router. Is there any other way I could experiment with solving the problem? Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Sounds like the wireless owner has got smart to your piggy backing their unsecured connection and added some much needed security.
    There isn't really any way around this other than configuring your own router for net access.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark but not Heartless View Post
    Is there any other way I could experiment with solving the problem?
    If the owner of the wireless device that was providing your Internet access secured the device to prevent you from using it further, no settings experimentation will result in a connection. Alternative options to use Mom's router might be: A) get a better/external antenna, if available, for your laptop's wireless adapter; B) Move Mom's wireless router to second floor to improve chance of getting a signal; C) Replace Mom's router with an 802.11g or 802.11n model to improve range; D) run cable to third floor and move existing router to third floor.

I'd also suggest determining the configuration of Mom's router and its SSID (name of wireless network) to see if it is the one you've been connecting to all along. If you stand beside the router with your laptop, it should be the strongest network listed. Also, is it a Linksys router? Documentation for configuring the router is available on the manufacturer's website.
    Dark but not Heartless Posts: 78, Reputation: -1

Feb 13, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    I'd also suggest determining the configuration of Mom's router and its SSID (name of wireless network) to see if it is the one you've been connecting to all along. If you stand beside the router with your laptop, it should be the strongest network listed. Also, is it a Linksys router? Documentation for configuring the router is available on the manufacturer's website.
    Well, my mom's router is a Westell VersaLink Mo. 327W. And even when I tried putting my laptop right next to it, not only was I unable to connect to the network, but it wasn't even listed in the available networks at all. There's a buttload of networks that I'm supposedly "in range of", but none of them have any signal bars. But thank you for those suggestions, I'll try them out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2009, 01:51 PM

Your mom's router is a wireless one. Its generally provided by Verizon when you subscribe to their DSL service.

It could be that the router was setup to not publish its SSID. So you need to find a manual for it and see how to configure it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network settings [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a message in my dock that says, "Your network settings have been changed by another application" I have no idea how this happened. Now I cannot restart or shutdown my computer. Can anybody help? Thanks

Rebooting computer to original factory settings [ 6 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer to my original factory settings

Transferring (migrate)settings when upgrading to a new computer [ 2 Answers ]

What would be the smartest most efficient way to transfer my settings from one windows based computer to a new windows based computer. Software apps, data, IE favorites etc. Thanks

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Computer network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Jawed from kuwait . I have three PC with windows 98 and having one hub , how I will connect each other. I want to see one computer to view all other directory but other are not allowed . How I can do this

View more questions Search