Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EricSC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Ford 7.3 diesel cold weather
    I have a 2000 F350 with the 7.3 diesel. In cold weather(below 30 degrees) the engine will rev to about 1200 - 1400 rpm during initial warm up. If I tap the break pedal it will drop down to normal level of about 800. It will stay there for a minute or so and then run back up to the 1200 level. This only happens in cold weather warm up. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Eric C
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 10:49 AM

Is this the first time you've experienced this problem? A lot of cars tend to idle higher in colder weather; 1200-1400 rpms really isn't anything to worry about. If it goes much higher you may want to look into it but I'd say leave it for now.
    bmoore2156 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 08:42 PM

I had a 2004 F250 with the 6.0L Diesel.
    It would do the same thing from the day I bought it. I figured it was to keep the engine temp up. I could actually watch the temp.. At normal it would idle fine. Then the temp would drop a little and it would idle up. Touch the brake and it would idle back to normal. It would do this even on long trips. I mainly noticed it when I stopped at a drive through for something to eat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford F350 7.3 PS Turbo Diesel Cold Weather Starting Issues [ 14 Answers ]

I bought this wonderful 1995 Ford F350 Crew Cab 7.3 PS Diesel truck this summer and as of lately (now that the temps are dropping below 45) I am having one heck of a time starting it. In fact, temps were 26 degrees a couple of mornings ago and it took no-kidding nearly 20 minutes of fooling around...

Ford F250 Diesel [ 8 Answers ]

How do I change the head in my Ford F250 diesel?

6L ford diesel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Ford diesel that is not running right. My truck will lose power first then spit and sputter then eventually quite. First thing I did was change the fuel/water seperator and it ran for a day. Then I flushed the tank and lines and it ran for a day. Then the auxiliary pump (not the one...

Ford diesel 7.3 oil problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 f-250 w/7.3 the gally plug o-rings keep blowing out anyone know of a problem that may cause this or if ford has a problem with the o-rings.

View more questions Search