Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doreenros Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Do I have to pay the IRS twice on 401k loan default fro 2007?
    Took a 401k loan to buy my house in 2001 and in 2007 I defaulted on the loan. Filed for bankruptcy Sept. 2008. When I did my taxes for 2007 I paid $$ to IRS because of this. When I was doing my 2008 taxes, Turbo Tax asked is I'd had any distributions in previous years. I said yes, in 2007. Before I answered this question I had $$ being refunded to me; after I entered the default amount, I owed $$ to the IRS - why? I've already paid the IRS; why does it seem I will have to pay again this year? Thank you very much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2009, 03:13 PM

Did you use TT for your 2007 taxes? If you are sure you paid the taxes and penalties on your 401K withdrawal and did not get a 1099 then go back and tell TT No instead of Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving my 2 weeks notice December 14th, will my 401k loan be taxed 2006 or 2007? [ 3 Answers ]

I am giving my employeer my 2 weeks December 14, 2007 and I currently have a 401k loan, will this loan be added to my upcoming taxes 2007 or will the loan be claimed on my 2008 taxes? Thank you for any information that you can give! It is greatly appreciated! Mona

When is a 401K loan considered dispersed after default [ 1 Answers ]

I asked a similar question earlier and have since found out some info, I had a 401K loan out while working in MI. I left the company in Oct 05 and became a full time resident of NC. My loan defaulted in Jan 06, so at that point it is considered a withdraw, so do I owe MI taxes (where I lived when...

401K Loan Default after leaving the state it was dispersed in [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my situation, left a job in MI in Oct 05 and moved out of state. I had a small loan out of my 401K from my previous job that defaulted in Jan 06. I know I need to pay the taxes and penalties on it but my question is which state do I need to pay the taxes to? I lived in NC for all of 2006,...

401k home loan default [ 3 Answers ]

My wife took out a loan two years ago from her 401k. This was a first time withdrawal for the purpose of a home loan. She is now interviewing with another company. (Better commute, new faces) Given that her loan becomes callable when she leaves, if she defaults, is there the 10% withdrawal...

View more questions Search