Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monaz00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Giving my 2 weeks notice December 14th, will my 401k loan be taxed 2006 or 2007?
    I am giving my employeer my 2 weeks December 14, 2007 and I currently have a 401k loan, will this loan be added to my upcoming taxes 2007 or will the loan be claimed on my 2008 taxes?

Thank you for any information that you can give! It is greatly appreciated!

Mona
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 11:33 AM
    You should ask your plan administrator this question, since the specific rules for how loans are treated vary widely from plan to plan. In many cases if you leave your employer you have something like 60 days to pay back the loan. If you don't pay it back, the amount of the loan will then count as a distribution to you, so that means some time in February 2008 the loan would count as income to you. Now, the specific rules of your plan may vary from this - it's possible that the loan becomes due immediately upon your separation from employment, in which case the date of your early withdrawal is December, 2007. You will have to pay income tax on this amount plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I would say its unlikely to be part of 2007 income. Plan admins just don't work that fast. Plus, as be, said you may have a grace period in which to pay it back. If you are going to a new job that will also have a 401K, I would suggest that you take a short term loan to pay off your 401K loan, then get your distribution rolled over into your new plan and take out another 401K loan to pay of the short term loan. I've done that at least twice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
    All good advice; nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Sublettee Giving Notice [ 3 Answers ]

I have a sublet-tee who agreed to a 40 day notice on moving out. She also agreed to stay more than just the summer (I live at the beach in California). She moved in at the beginning of May. Now she is trying to leave with only 25 days notice. What can I hold her to? Does she need to pay for...

I just lots my dad December 18, 2006 [ 6 Answers ]

I am his only child. I have been devastated because it was unexpected. I flew home and drove back with some of my fathers things. He had some debts. He owes $40,000 home equity loan on the house and he has about 21,000 total in credit card debt. Not enough money to cover the credit card debt. ...

View more questions Search