Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stepmom13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Joint Legal Custody and School Enrollment
    In a case where a child's parents are divorced, but share joint legal custody, do both parents have to sign off when a disabled child is moved from one school to another?

Here is some background: My step son is 11-years old. He has autism and has been attending a private school since he started school. Recently, my husband found out that Mom had decided to change schools. She never contacted Dad (or the current school) about this process, instead he found out from a social worker who, new on the job, thought it would be prudent to contact Dad. The same social worker informed Dad that his permission or approval was not necessary for the change to be made. Does anyone know if this is true? Legally, Mom and Dad share joint custody.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stepmom13 View Post
    In a case where a child's parents are divorced, but share joint legal custody, do both parents have to sign off when a disabled child is moved from one school to another?

Here is some background: My step son is 11-years old. He has autism and has been attending a private school since he started school. Recently, my husband found out that Mom had decided to change schools. She never contacted Dad (or the current school) about this process, instead he found out from a social worker who, new on the job, thought it would be prudent to contact Dad. The same social worker informed Dad that his permission or approval was not necessary for the change to be made. Does anyone know if this is true? Legally, Mom and Dad share joint custody.

What does the Court order say? It often says the non-residential parent has to be consulted. It also often says the residential parent makes the decision.

It's in the wording of the Order. If it's NOT covered, then the father has to go back to Court and get it specified if he wants his opinion to be heard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get a Legal Joint Custody on my son? [ 2 Answers ]

I just have a question and hoping to get an answer from someone who can understand. I gave birth when I was 19 yrs. Old to my son who is now 7 yrs of age. When he turned 1 yrs. Old I asked his father to take care of him while I go to school to get a good job. His father and I were never...

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Joint Legal Custody in AZ [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My Ex-husband and I share Joint Legal Custody of our 10 yr. old daughter, w/ myself having Sole Legal Custody. My new husband has received a job promotion and in time will require us to move out of state. We have been very upfront about this decision w/ my ex-husband and he seems to be...

Joint Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

The custodial parent informed me that our child may need major surgery. She informed me she took our child to an appt for an exam. She then said she was getting a second opinion. She did not provide me with any information on the first appt or give me the option of going to the appt. Now she is...

View more questions Search