Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasra Posts: 54, Reputation: 7

Aug 8, 2006, 04:33 PM
    A friend of mine wants to write a children's book
    :) Hi Guys,

A friend of mine wants to write a children's book. She has a great imagination. And she has the characters in her head. She believes that kids would really love her characters. I am giving her all the confidence she needs like " you can pull it off, and you can do it". But realistically guys what do you think is it hard to get into the book writing world. Even if the public did like the characters. What steps or hurdles does my friend need to cross. Thanks guys:)
    Moonbay Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nasra
    :) Hi Guys,

A friend of mine wants to write a childrens book. She has a great imagination. And she has the characters in her head. She believes that kids would really love her characters. I am giving her all the confidence she needs like " you can pull it off, and you can do it". But realistically guys what do you think is it hard to get into the book writing world. Even if the public did like the characters. What steps or hurdles does my friend need to cross. thanx guys:)
    First step is for her to find a publisher.
    Nicolai1692 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonbay
    First step is for her to find a publisher.
    I'd guess the step before that would be to produce a manuscript even if it's only gone through a few drafts.

To Nasra, have you seen her writing or is her book more in the brainstorming stage?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Well, its actually become a lot easier. Especially if she wants to write a series of books.

The first step is create an outline of the story with descriptions of the characters. Maybe flesh out a chapter or two to show the quality of her prose.

The second step would be to send the outline to publishers and literary agents to see if there is any interest in their publishing the book or representing her.

However, if she get rejections, don't let that discourage her. The next step is self publish. Create a WEB site for the books. Use the outline to create pages of each of the characters, give a plot synopsis and sample chapters. Offer an electronic version of the book. Depending on how much money she wants to invest she can get a self publisher to run off a run of copies. Send them to libraries, schools and book reviewers.

If she plans on a series of books, give the first one away on the WEB site as a free download. The idea being to build a following.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gsd son of mine - just wondering [ 7 Answers ]

:) You guys are the best for any questions so thanks ahead -- I have a 10 mo old gsd pup he is with me all day and night -- and usually when I go somewhere -- if he is left alone it is only for no more than 6-8 hrs max -- he is trained and knows every trick I can think of and learns them fast --...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

I'm going to write a book on the stuff that has happened to me... [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, HAHAHAHA! As a lot of you know I have been talking to this girl for a while now. She doesn't live here, so I'm not thinking of any type of relationship now, but something kind of funny happened a few min ago... She called me last night and we talked for about 30min and she was going out with...

A friend of mine [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 27 years old stud lesbian.I'm in a relationship that I'm really not happy with.The female and I live together but I feel that we have no compatibilty with one another.So I've been having dreams about this female that is my friend and I think no I know that I'm very attracted to her.She's a Leo...

View more questions Search