Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zaheer_abbas74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Whether to file single or jointly for H1B (Having Dependents along with me in US)
    Hi

I am on H1B and my dependents on H4(Wife and 1 Daughter). We came to US on 1st Aug 2008. My W2 form has marital status as SINGLE but will be changing now as I have completed 180 days in US. My Queries:

1. Whether I need to file file Taxes Return, as Single or Jointly.
    2. My daughter goes to Pre-School, do I need to mention the fees when filling the form.
    3. W2 form also specify the Medicare and Social Security Tax Withheld, if filling jointly do I need to fill that too.

Regards
    Zaheer
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 10:15 PM

You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait for about 5 months in 2009 to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test (of 183 days) in 2009.

You will get standard deduction of $10,900 and exemptions for both of you and the child.

You will get tuition and fee deduction. You do not report FICA taxes on you tax return.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit.
    Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Unless your wife works or goes to school, you CANNOT claim the pre-school fees for day care credit purposes.

This applies for U.S. citizens as well as foreign nationals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 filing jointly or single? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am in USA on a J1 visa since 19 Jan2005. I got married in Dec23' 2007 and my wife arrived here in 23 Jan 2008. Am I eligible to file as married and claim benefits on my returns for 2007? This year I would be filing as resident alien. Also she does not have an ITIN number and I am not...

Can we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband and I are both F-1. He started to work on CPT since July 2007 and OPT since December. 2008 is the 6th year of his stay in US. So can we filing tax jointly for 2007? Thanks! xiaotiany

How to file tax for OPT+H1B status+dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, After searching on web, I found that this is the best website to get help for tax. Although I read some responses, I could not stop myself to ask specific question regarding my condition. I was on F1 status from Jan06 to May07, on OPT from May07 to Oct07, and on H1B from Oct07 to till...

H1B Filing income tax jointly or single [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been staying in US since last 2 years on H1B visa. Recently I got married in November and I brought my wife into USA on 2nd December 2007. Based on the above information, am I eligible for Filing tax jointly. If yes, what are the deductions I will get it. I heard that I am not...

Can J1 and J2 file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in J1 status and my husband in J2. He works and has his W-2. According to the treaty between China and US, I don't need to pay any tax. So in this case, can we file Form 1040NR jointly? Thank you for answering my question.

View more questions Search