Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swista Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Custody matter?
    Hi,
    I have a 7 year old daughter, her father have never seen her , and never paid child support. He uses drugs and alcohol. He also has 3 other kids with 3 different women. I am now getting marriage and my daughter calls Luke dad and she is his world and vice versa.
    My question is is there a possibility that I would get sole custody for her?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 01:03 PM

You have sole custody currently.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Swista View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 7 year old daughter, her father have never seen her , and never payed child support. He uses drugs and alcohol. He also has 3 other kids with 3 different women. I am now getting marriage and my daughter calls Luke dad and she is his world and vice versa.
    My question is is there a possibility that I would get sole custody for her?

Is the father acknowledged as the father - name on the birth certificate, DNA testing, Court Order?

Jan 28, 2009, 01:20 PM

Yes the father is on a birth certificate. No DNA and no court orders.
    I would like to go to court and fight for sole custody and I don't know if there is any possibility that that would be grant to me?
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Yes the father is on a birth certificate. No DNA and no court orders.
    I would like to go to court and fight for sole custody and I dont know if there is any possibility that that would be grant to me?

Why are you going to Court if he never sees the child, doesn't pay support, has no interest in the child? You have sole custody now.

If you are thinking of your boyfriend/husband adopting your child you would need the father to consent and who has custody is immaterial (if that's the direction you plan to go).

If you take the father to Court with some sort of sole custody request - which you really don't need - and he responds I would be prepared for him to minimally receive visitation with the child. Of course, you could get a support order which he may or may not pay.

I'm not sure you want to start this whole ball rolling.

Jan 28, 2009, 01:30 PM

He is on the birth certificate therefore I can not make her a passport with out him signing it, or when I go on vacation every time he would have to sign a paper from a lawyer saying he is allowing her to go. This is a reason I would like to get sole custody done by court because I can not go anywhere with her because he is not allowing me to do so.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
    He is on the birth certificate therefore I can not make her a passport with out him signing it, or when I go on vacation every time he would have to sign a paper from a lawyer saying he is allowing her to go. This is a reason I would like to get sole custody done by court becuase I can not go anywhere with her because he is not allowing me to do so.

It doesn't sound like he isn't allowing it. It sounds like the Government isn't allowing it or something elseis going on here.

But, anyway, go to whatever Court in your area handles these matters (possibly Family Court) and ask for sole custody and support, while you're at it. He may or may not appear. I don't understand why, if there is no contact, he needs to sign for you to go on vacation - unless you're leaving the Country. How does he even know where you are?

Be prepared for him to suddenly appear for ordered visitation following the Court appearance because I see no way you can strip him of his rights and I wouldn't be surprised if the Court would order when and where you can take the child even if you have sole physical custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the matter with me? [ 17 Answers ]

I have just received an email from my algebra tutor, the subject being "Algebra wuiz results". When I found out that I got a F, I could believe it. This is my first F in years and years. Actually, my worst grade ever was a B. That is, before this. I studied for this test for eight hours. My...

Does it matter? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can wear yellow and white gold at the same time, because I got married recently and my husband brought me a gold ring. I don't know what to do because my husband said I should wear my ring even if I am wearing a yellow necklace.

A51 or A50? Does it matter? [ 1 Answers ]

The ECU on my car is:37820-P06-A50. The part bought: 37820-P06-A51. Does it matter if I use the one with A51 to replace the original one with A50? I don't want to make another stupid mistake by trying a obviously mismatched part before I get some confirmation from those who know better out there....

What can I do in this matter [ 1 Answers ]

I need some assistance is this matter... I recently came across a property that has been vacant for some time and I did a little research on it. Come to find out that the owner, plus the person's relatives that were named administrators are deceased. The property owes thousands of dollars in...

Does age really matter? [ 10 Answers ]

I am kind of in a little shuffle here. My boyfreind is 4 years older than I am and he gets made fun of by his friends. My boyfriend isn't one of those people who care about what other people think but when they make fun of him about it, he thinks he is doing something wrong. He doesn't want to...

View more questions Search