Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Slikkster Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Kitchen Faucet -with Sidespray- Water Flow Abruptly Stops
    We bought a place that has a Kohler "Single Control Kitchen Faucet". It's a "Fairfax" model. Here's a link to the installation guide. Keep in mind we have the unit with the sidespray.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1004617_2.pdf

Here's the actual catalog picture:

Name:  KohlerFaucet.jpg
Views: 11604
Size:  17.9 KB

Ok, problem: Water frequently just stops coming out of the spout altogether, even when the faucet lever is open full either hot or cold. It's almost as if there is an air lock. I truly think this is related to the sidespray, because if I use the sidespray at all, the water flow does not revert back to the main spout output after I'm done with the sidespray.

Note: this flow cutoff occurs even when the sidespray isn't being used.

It's driving my wife crazy, too, and now she's clamoring for a new sink, faucet, et. al. Being the practical one, I'd like to see if I can be Superman and fix this problem.

Here's a scenario: We go to use the faucet (not the sidespray). The water might come out fine at first, but all of the sudden it will just stop. Sometimes moving the faucet handle to and fro will bring the flow back, but I think that's just coincidence. But almost EVERY time the sidespray is used, the water will not return to the main water spout when the sidespray use is curtailed. It takes a minute or two before water will return to the spout.

There is no sign of leakage anywhere, and the main water valves to the faucet are fully open.

Is this a diverter issue? How might I repair this problem? Tks.

Aug 3, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Anyone?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikkster
    Anyone?

Sorry! I've just had surgery and I'm recovering rather slowly. It sounds like you have picked up some trash and it's affecting the dirverter. Page 6 on your instructions tells you how to open up the valve to the cartridge. Unfortunately it does not give us a exploded view so you will have toi shut the water off under the cabinet and pull the cartridge. Once the cartridge's out remove what's left and check for and clean out any crud that you see in the valve body. Before you reassemble place a pan over the open valve body and turn the water back on for a second or two to flush out the supplies. Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Aug 3, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Thanks, Tom. I'm at work and won't be able to look into this until later, but here is a Parts page from Kohler (slow to load at times) that has exploded views. Any hints on how to proceed?

http://www.serviceparts.kohler.com/o...prod_num=12172

The "Valve Service Parts" page shows the diverter valve.

(If you click on the link for the various parts pages vs. just hovering, they will open in a separate window full screen.)
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikkster
    Any hints on how to proceed?
    I can see no other way to address this but to remove everything including the diverter and clean and flush it all out. Good luck, Tom

Aug 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Ok, here's what I found. First, an annoyance. The hot water valve under the sink never fully shut off all the hot water, no matter how tightly the valve was closed. That limited the amount of time I could spend on the faucet, because without the ability to fully close that valve, there was always some water dribbling through the faucet housing and along the countertop. Argggh!

Now, I did manage to get all the parts off to where I could get to the diverter valve. The diverter looked very clean to me, actually. No gunk or crud around it. Gaskets looked like they were in good shape. Is it possible it's still a failed unit?

However, a larger valve that sits right under the single faucet handle felt quite greasy, and underneath it was calcification. Here's a large view of that valve:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail....48&r1=&r2=&r3=

This valve is what directs hot/cold/mix to the spout. Could this valve be my problem?

None of the water inlet ports were blocked on the metal housing that the valve rests in, however, and when I turned the water on full to flush out those ports, there was no obstruction (I'm talking again about the metal portion of the faucet housing, not the valve itself).

Unfortunately, as mentioned, I didn't have a lot of time to mess with this larger valve because I couldn't get the water fully shut off under the sink.

Anyway, when I put everything back together after a flush, the only time the water didn't come out of the spout was when I used the sprayer. To be clear, I would use the sprayer, but when I released the sprayer handle, all water flow stopped. No more water from the sprayer, and none from the spout. Prior to my disassembly, the water would start to come out of the spout and then trail off or abruptly stop, even if I hadn't used the sprayer.

One note about the diverter valve: Because I couldn't fully close off the hot water valve under the sink, there was always some hot water coming into the faucet assembly. Water was leaking out of the diverter valve hole, even with the valve in position. Fortunately, there was no leaking when I reassembled the faucet assembly en toto. Is that normal, though?

So, I guess some small measure of success, but hardly enough to please the wife. Any thoughts on where to go next, Tom?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
    That "valve" is the cartridge and if you can't clean the buildup off it I would replace it. Since you are having a problem shutting off the hot water angle stop why not shut it off at the water heater. Good luck, Tom

Aug 5, 2006, 04:03 AM
    I live in an apartment building, so there is no water heater, per se, to cut the water flow off at. And I don't see a master set of water valves in my apartment.

Anyway, the latest update is this: The flow through the spout is definitely stronger and stays on now on both hot and cold. No abrupt stoppages UNLESS the sprayer is activated. My wife says she never wants to use the sprayer, anyway, and now says she's happy the spout flow is consistent and strong. (I did backflush the aerator while I was doing maintenance on the faucet).

Of course, I'm positive the sprayer (w/diverter) was probably the main culprit in this problem, so I don't see this as *fixed*. I hate to leave something not totally repaired, but there is the "wife is happy" factor. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the help.
    Bryan Jacob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
    For what it's worth, I have this Same faucet and am experiencing this Same problem. I have ordered a replacement diverter valve. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Sep 2, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Ok, Bryan. Please report back on how replacing the diverter valve worked out.

My only update here is that ever since I took the assembly apart and cleaned the "cartridge" while flushing water through the metal assembly (and backflushed the aerator), I get steady water out of the faucet all the time. That is, UNLESS I use the sidespray. If I use the spray, the water shuts off completely when I release the spray handle. But the intermittent problem of water turning off even when the spray wasn't used has been remedied.

I have not, as yet, replaced the diverter valve.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2006, 05:49 AM
    "If I use the spray, the water shuts off completely when I release the spray handle."

Which should tell you something's blocked between the #75878 diverter and the #1008761/1005240 valve body affecting the # 77548 Cartridge.
    I too, am interested in the success Bryan has when he replaces the diverter.
    Regards, Tom
    Tarsier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Hi!
    I had/have the same issue w/my Kohler faucet. I removed the diverter valve and tried to clean it in some vinegar but to no avail. Today I bought a new diverter valve (around $6-$7) and just installed it. For now it seems to be working better... the water pressure is better from the faucet and the sprayer actually now has stronger water pressure as well (which I didn't realize was not getting enough pressure in the first place). There was a marked difference in the new diverter valve as it moved much smoother when I tested it after removing it from the case.
    Anyway thought I would share as I found this thread very useful.
    Bryan Jacob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 04:56 PM
    It worked.

Oct 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
    I just wanted to chime in with how things worked out for me. I finally got around to ordering a diverter assembly for this faucet, and lo and behold it worked like a charm! Now I have full use of the side spray (with very good pressure) and no problems with the main spout. The wife is happy, too, which is a good thing. So, thanks to all who helped out on this question. On a side note, I Googled for places to buy the diverter assembly, and other than Kohler, only one place came up: faucetsdirect.com. I opted for their cheapest shipping option ("Super Saver"), which was supposedly going to take 7-11 business days. It came the next day! Guess they must have a warehouse in my area. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks again.
    atlanta hope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I've had the same issue with the same faucet. If you call Kohler, they'll send you the diverter for FREE. It's under warranty apparently. This is the second time I've called to replace it in 5 years. The first replacement gave us water out of the faucet but never out of the sprayer. Hoping that we can get the sprayer to work this time. What a pain. Don't think I'll buy Kohler in the future.
    FastCat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 11:37 AM
    We've had the same problem with our Kohler faucet (appears to be the same model), so I appreciate the advice on replacing the diverter valve. We tried replacing the sprayer first and that did not help at all. And it only got worse when we put a filter on the faucet, so I'll give Kohler a call for a free part.

Thanks!
    omari623 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Just wanted to chime in. I came across this site searching for answers too and as mentioned before calling Kohler @ 1800-4Kohler (456-4537) and got a FREE replacement diverter shipped out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Loud Screeching Sound In My Kitchen Faucet

Kitchen faucet pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced my single handle kitchen faucet to a double handle faucet. (No special reason.) I added a sprayer also. Everything has worked great, which has been about 3 months up until about a week ago. I have good pressure when I turn on either the cold or hot, but when I turn on the other, the...

Kitchen faucet BAM BAM [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Delta 2 handle 4 hole fixture with a sprayer. When I turn the hot or cold water handle quickly; water pulsates and makes a 'BAM BAM' sound for a few seconds. If a turn the handle slowly, the pulsating and sound is reduced. Also, the spray handle has very low water pressure. This...

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

No Water Flow Or Pressure In Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I Do Not Have Hot Water Pressure Or Flow In The Kitchen Sink Also Very Poor Water Flow In Cold Please Help

View more questions Search