Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgckhpns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
    How do I shut off water without turning off water heater?
    I have had a problem with the pipes leading into my kitchen freezing. I need to be away for a few days and would like to turn off the water to the house and drain the lines. The problem is I have a gas hot water heater and turning it off and having to relight it scares the bejezus out of me! :(

I would like to turn off the main and not have to worry about the heater.

I read on some posts that I can turn the heater to pilot and turn it all the way down without worrying about killing it, but with my luck wanted to be sure I understood this to be true.

Please help. Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

You don't have to re-light it. Turn the valve to "Vacation" or "Pilot"

Usually there are 3 positions Off, Pilot/Vacation, ON.

The pilot will stay lit, but the burners won't fire in "Pilot" or "Vacation" modes.

Turn it to ON when you return.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 20, 2009, 11:24 AM

Another note... Just turning off the main won't do anything. It will stop the flow if your pipe does freeze and burst... so the damage will be minimal. But... there will still be water in the pipes and it must be drained out for it not to freeze.

A number of people here can give you more info if needed.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Hi all:

Here is a picture of the gas valve KISS was telling you about. Turn it down to the PILOT (as in left gas valve) or the VACATION (as in the right picture) setting by rotating the dial counterclockwise to that setting. You must look closely to read these.. sorry.

Be sure to note the exact spot that the dial is set on now so that when you return you can set it to the same spot on the dial. When you reset the dial the gas valve will allow gas to flow into the combustion chamber and you will hear the gas ignite, so be prepared for that and do not be concerned as this is supposed to happen... ;)

Finally, as Staticfx pointed out if you plan on shutting the water main off you will also need to DRAIN the water from the pipes to be sure that pipes will not freeze in the first place. To do this, shut the water main and then open all faucets in the house so that all pipes drain to the lowest sink in the house. You do not have to drain the water heater... ok?

Hopefully that will get you feeling good about things. Let us know if you have more concerns/questions.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater pilot keeps turning off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on. Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go...

Why is my NEW 30gal water heater turning the supply cold after little use? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced a 30gal water heater in a hair/nail salon shop with a GE(Rheem) 30gal from the Depot. I did nothing more than remove and replace the unit along with a new shut off valve that was located on the hot side. Let me explain the water heaters use per shop. The shop is two shops...

Turning off Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

How long can I have the water heater off and the water supply to the water heater off? I can't make repairs right away but I have a serious leak in the hot water faucet in the bathtub so I want to cut off the hot water.

Shut water main to house, what happens to hot water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I've seen similar questions but didn't see the exact answer I was looking for. I want to know what happens if I shut off the water to the house and Go on vacation and leave the hot water heater on and then a leak in A hot water faucet develops. Would the heater tank drain, overheat, and Cause...

View more questions Search