Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jturner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Turning off Water Heater
    How long can I have the water heater off and the water supply to the water heater off? I can't make repairs right away but I have a serious leak in the hot water faucet in the bathtub so I want to cut off the hot water.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
    As long as you like jturner. No need to be concerned.. heck , people go on vacation and shut down for months!!

I saw from earlier post that you have a gas heater. So just shut gas supply into heater via the gas shutoff... OR could also shut off at the gas valve/thermostat to heater... just turn knob on top to off. Let us know if you need more info.

You could also set the gas valve to pilot... that way you will not need to relight the pilot when you restart heater.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Yes, as long as the heater is off, you can have the water turned off you are OK, If it is going to be months, you may want to drain it, but I assume you are talking about days or weeks at most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater pilot keeps turning off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on. Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go...

Gas heater turning on and off on its own? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has an old Sears wall-mounted gas heater. It's very simple... just turn the knob to the desired heat setting, or turn it off. Also, I don't think it's thermostat controlled... no matter whether you set it to 2, 5, or 10 on the dial, it just continues heating at that setting (as opposed...

Day & Night heater is not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

Our day and night central air and heating unit is not working. Specifically, the pilot light is not working (OR GAS BURNERS); is their a default switch to turn back on the pilot light, or do we use a match?

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Irregular water pressure when first turning on water [ 4 Answers ]

I just notched that when I turn on my facuts or even shower, that the first few seconds, the water kind of comes out very strong and then it weakens to a normal low pressure like flow. The flow isn't horrible or anything, but I wish it would come out like the first few seconds the whole time. What...

View more questions Search