Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 10:14 AM
    FICA and H1-B
    Hi,

After finishing graduate school on May 2005, I have started working on August 2005 as full-time. I had my OPT and my H1-B approval (that allows me work starting from Oct 05) came later (around August). Sometime in Oct, I emailed our payroll department and asked about why I have been paying for FICA tax since I have started. I was not sure about the legal policy around FICA, so I told them that I did not get my H1-B visa stamp yet. They asked for copies of my passport and refunded me the FICA tax they have deducted until that time. Later I got my visa stamp sometime in December 05. To this day they have not deducted any FICA from me and I am getting uneasy about it. What should I tell them? From which date should I be paying this tax? Since Jan 06 or Since Oct 05?

Thank you for all the help.

K
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 31, 2006, 03:28 PM
    K:

You should be paying from the date your H-1B visa started (probably the date it got stamped). You had a legal obligation to inform your employer of your change of status.

Notify him immediately and hope they don't decide to collect back taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to pay the FICA Tax? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi,Expert: I am a J-1 holder from China and doing Postdoctoral researcher associate in a University in USA now. I arrived USA in Oct. 2004. I found in my first month payroll of 2006,there is FICA tax has been withheld. Normally there are two years for all J-1 visa holders have Taxes exemption....

F1, opt and fica tax [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about the Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes. I came to US As a F1 student in sep. 2000. I began my OPT in July, 2005. And my H1b started at Jan. 1, 2006. Since I was a F1-Student in the whole year of 2005. Neither my university, nor my current company deducted these two types of...

FICA Tax Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for retired persons collecting social security benefits to be exempt from FICA Tax w/h on earnings? If so, what conditions must be met, if any?

Fica tax on opt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Right now I am on OPT(started on Jan1st,2006) and am working for an university. I noticed that on my payroll I have been charged for FICA. When I called up our university tax office, their explanation was that since I am here in the US for more than 5 years-they considered me as a Resident....

J1 Fica [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a J1 since Nov 2003. For 2003, I filed Non-resident alien and for 2004 I filed Resident alien taxes. But the whole of 2005, my Employer deducted FICA from my paycheck. In Sep 2005 I changed the Employer who will give me a 5 year J1. They don't deduct my FICA but only the Federal &...

View more questions Search