Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Trying to build my credit for the first time
    I'm trying to build up my credit and I need help! I am 22 years old. I don't have anyone to co-sign for me on any type of loan. I have never had a loan, signed a lease, etc. I pay my friend rent and her name is on the lease because I don't have credit. I have never had a credit card or anything like that. I have paid off 2 large medical bills. One went to collections first (due to a mix up with the billing dept. at the hospital) and I paid it off through the collection agency. The other I made small payments on and paid off over 4 years. I use the VISA debit cards that you don't have to get a credit check for. My question is how do I build my credit up without co-signers? All my friends have had their parents co-sign for something to build their credit. Thanks for you time and help! :)
    NO_NAME Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peggyhill
    I'm trying to build up my credit and I need help! I am 22 years old. I don't have anyone to co-sign for me on any type of loan. I have never had a loan, signed a lease, etc. I pay my friend rent and her name is on the lease because I don't have credit. I have never had a credit card or anything like that. I have paid off 2 large medical bills. One went to collections first (due to a mix up with the billing dept. at the hospital) and I paid it off through the collection agency. The other I made small payments on and paid off over 4 years. I use the VISA debit cards that you don't have to get a credit check for. My question is how do I build my credit up without co-signers? All my friends have had their parents co-sign for something to build their credit. Thanks for you time and help! :)
    I have a suggestion that might work. Credit Unions are more open to people than banks and a credit union is a good way to begin your credit rating. Once you open an account and accumulate some capital 100 or so dollars should be enough. Get a conference with a credit union person in those little offices they have and get a small loan for something you need, like a car or lap top for school. Bottom line, credit unions are a good place to begin your credit history. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I build credit after chapter 7? [ 1 Answers ]

Does reaffirmation of an auto loan build credit?:confused:

How to build Business credit history? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Business (corporation) since 2005 and I always wanted to build credit with my Tax ID number and not with my social security number, but every time I tried they denied it for many reasons. I do not have bad record and paid taxes on time. Does somebody know how to start? Maybe and easy...

First time credit card user [ 19 Answers ]

For first time credit card user Is 11.99% is reasonable rate? With mastercard no annual fee. Earning world points What do you think about the 95 cents per $100 protection fee? What would you suggest? Thanks.:)

Build Credit? How? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 19 and am in my first year of living on my own. I have been thinking about buying a new car, but the problem is I have NO credit. I have been approved for loans, but the interest rate is ridiculous! I don't want to get a credit card because everyone older and wiser than me says it I'm just...

View more questions Search