Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom2gideon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Black sludge clogging up plumbing
    I am desperate for answers as my son and I have tried everything. Both our bathtub and now our bathroom sink are draining extremely slowly. Last night in desperation my son and I opened up the pipes underneath the drain in the bathroom sink only to discover that there was thick black sludge in the pipe in the wall. We cleaned it out as best as we could but this morning when we got up for work and school and used the sink, the situation is worse than ever. Can someone please tell me what this black sludge is, how to get it cleaned out and how to prevent it from happening again? Is this something that we are going to have to get a professional plumber to do and will it cost us a fortune? I have really been trying to fix it myself but to no avail but paying a plumber a fortune right now to take care of this is not something that I can really afford.
    I would appreciate any advice or information that anyone could provide to me
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Can someone please tell me what this black sludge is, how to get it cleaned out and how to prevent it from happening again?
    Don't panic Mom, help's on the way. Your drain line's clogged with hair and grease. This will require a hand snake,(see image).
    Remove the "J" bend from the trap and send a snake up into the wall, (see image) you will run into a elbo about 6 inches in but once past that you should only have 5 nore feet to put out. Replace the "J" bend and flush the line with a basin full of hot water. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass Catcher Clogging [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I have a new Troy Bilt Super Bronco (60TG) rider that I have cut grass with about five times. I have tried using the grass catcher that I bought with the mower and each time, the grass clippings get clogged right at the chute's connection to the mower. I have tried cutting the grass when...

Black sludge in pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, my bathroom sink stopped draining. Seeing as I am a Do-It-Yourself kind of girl I plunged it and the clear water became gray. The water did start draining very slowly so I let it drain completely. I left the fluffy looking gray sediment in the sink. When I touched it it was kind of...

Black sludge in bathroom sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

There's an accumulation of black slude in my bathroom sink drain and it's preventing the water from draining properly - - it's just getting worse and I'm wondering what to flush down the sink to get rid of it.

Calcium clogging up fixures [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased a tankless water heater about 2 years ago. About 6 mo ago I noticed calcium deposits were starting to clog my shower heads and faucets. I know its calcium because the deposits crumble between my fingers. How do I fix this problem?

Clogging Old Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

My mother who is in her 80's lives by herself in another city where I can't monitor her dealings with tradesmen. I fear she has gotten a plumber who takes advantage of old ladies. She has had a little trouble with a clogging toilet and he is telling her that she needs a new commode because old...

View more questions Search