Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mitymurph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Clogging Old Toilet
    My mother who is in her 80's lives by herself in another city where I can't monitor her dealings with tradesmen.
    I fear she has gotten a plumber who takes advantage of old ladies. She has had a little trouble with a clogging toilet and he is telling her that she needs a new commode because old ones like hers start to clog with age. It is about 25 years old and still looks great to me. I have replaced toilets before and know what it entails. She is on a septic system.
    He wants to charge her 500 bucks. There should be no installation problems as it is on a slab foundation.
    This same person charged her $185 to replace an outside faucet on a brick house. She did not think it was a difficult installation for him
    I would appreciate an input from you expert plumbers. I am going out there this weekend to evaluate the situation.

Thanks,

Jim in Texas
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Yes, $500 is a ridiculous bid to replace a toilet.

... and clogging is rarely cause for replacing a toilet... except that in her case, maybe the waste path to the drain line is smaller than the standard of today's toilets.

Sounds like her clog is occasional.

I suggest pull it and turn it upside down to see if you can find something lodged in there that's catching toilet paper.

If you find it and can remove it, problem solved.

If you find nothing, then there's two options: Something is lodged in the bend where you cannot see or get to it, or the problem is in her line.

Since you've got to pull it anyway, maybe take a new toilet with you and install it instead of putting the 25 year old one back in...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitymurph
    My mother who is in her 80's lives by herself in another city where I can't monitor her dealings with tradesmen.
    I fear she has gotten a plumber who takes advantage of old ladies. She has had a little trouble with a clogging toilet and he is telling her that she needs a new commode because old ones like hers start to clog with age. It is about 25 years old and still looks great to me. I have replaced toilets before and know what it entails. She is on a septic system.
    He wants to charge her 500 bucks. There should be no installation problems as it is on a slab foundation.
    This same person charged her $185 to replace an outside faucet on a brick house. She did not think it was a difficult installation for him
    I would appreciate an input from you expert plumbers. I am going out there this weekend to evaluate the situation.

Thanks,

Jim in Texas
    Good morning Jim,

Let's get one thing straight. Toilets do not "wear out" as they age. They may lime up and need to be cleaned, the tank parts may need replacing but the porcelain tank and bowl do not wear out.
    Having said that, get rid of the greedy plumber that's fleecing your mother and hire a honest one to come in and assess exactly what needs to be done.
    If you plan on going over to your mothers in the near future I can give you some hints on making that lazy toilet start flushing every time.
    Good luck, Tom
    Mitymurph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Tom:

I am going to see her this weekend. What do you suggest to get the lazy toilet working?

Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Hey Murph,

I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. If that don't get it click on back. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 09:36 AM
    I guess replacing a toilet with the clogged hole would correct the problem. I was going to replace the entire flush valve on a toilet that kept sticking. I discovered it was the handle. I think I have that fix, but may have to replace it. Good thing people have you here to give them the real fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Grass Catcher Clogging [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I have a new Troy Bilt Super Bronco (60TG) rider that I have cut grass with about five times. I have tried using the grass catcher that I bought with the mower and each time, the grass clippings get clogged right at the chute's connection to the mower. I have tried cutting the grass when...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

New toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I finished my basement and the home was plumbed for a full batch. I have a 4" pipe coming up through the concrete floor for the toilet. The flooring has been laid up and around the pvc pipe. First, do I need a 4" flange for the toilet? Second, how far down do I cut the pipe coming up through...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I started smelling sewage in my basement bathroom, and when I looked in the toilet, it had no water in it(none on the floor) It was used the previous day. When I flushed it, it seemed to be normal and stay at the correct level. I came back and checked about a half hour later and still seemed fine. ...

View more questions Search