Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Want to protect myself against default
    Hi- I'm trying to help a family member who got his credit ruined as a result of the economic situation. He wants to buy a car and I expressed my willingness to co-sign with him - or he can't get it. He seems to be doing OK now and all indications he will be able to keep his word and make his monthly payments. But I want to have a plan B. If he dafaults on the loan, I want to be able to keep my good name by either selling the car or just claiming it all to myself by removing his name altogether and take over the payments. Is there a way to do that once his name is on the laon as a co-owner ? Can I go around that by having him sign a statement to give me full authority to do anything I see fit if I determine that he can no longer pay for the car or is about to default on the loan ? Many thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 08:52 PM

First just being on the loan only makes you a co borrower, if you co sign on the loan that does not put you on the loan.

If you want complete control, you buy the car, and let him make payments to you, if he does not pay, you just go get it.

Only other choice, you get a non revolkable power of attorney from him giving you the right to sell or control the car.

But honestly, you will have to make the payments if he does not, and normally he gets to keep the car and you are just stuck,

That is why ALL money people tell you never, NEVER, N E V E R sign for someone else

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is This right, Can I protect Myself [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for a Corporation in Arizona for 17 years. Rumors state that this company does not want to pay out severence packages, so instead they will find reason to fire people. There are suddenly many people going on a performance plan. The Supervisor states that they have received orders...

How Do I protect myself [ 4 Answers ]

Hello My common law husband left us a month ago for an other woman that he has been dating since October. He is not working and is giving us a hard time. How could I get child support from a man that is not working? What can I do to insure that my daughter gets the money she deserves? Please help me

Trying to protect her [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, OK me and this girl finaaly hooked up. We have been going ro about 3 months and I really love. How do I protect without being overprotective like I'm her father or something. I don't seem like an its just somrtimes I worry about her. I did a lot to earn her love and trust and I don't want to...

How do I protect my son. [ 12 Answers ]

I met my now wife when she had just had a baby and I helped her out of an abusive relationship. I have raised my son as my own since he was 3 months old and he is my life. The bio Bastard as I refer to him has not been in his life at all since my son was 2months old. I have married my wife since,...

Protect yourself [ 5 Answers ]

I think we all know we here in the USA live in a sue happy environment. What's the best situation to protect money in your bank account if someone Attempts to sue you? Or better question where it's the safest place to keep a lot of money say 50k? (and under the mattress doesn't count,...

View more questions Search